Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Setting camber angle.

Morning all,

quick question regarding setting of camber angle (gen 1 AK xjs suspension).

Do you set camber with the suspension at "full droop" or with the suspension level as in the photo?

IMG_20190909_142243834 (800x600).jpg

Manual states 0-1/4 degree negative.

Thanks, Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

All measurements should be set at ride height

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by seph View Post
    All measurements should be set at ride height

Paul
    That's what I thought, but what exactly would "at ride height" be bearing in mind that mine is on axle stands (as level as I can get it), has no shocks yet and no engine fitted? The weights when finished are going to be very different to what they are now.

Graham.

There's a measurement available for a "replacement shock absorber" for the Dax (straight bar with two holes to fix the ride height at "normal") - perhaps there's a similar measurement available for the AK?
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

You just Jack the front and rear hubs to the ride height. It tells you what that is in the manual and the do your measurements
    Paul

Camber off the face of the disc or wheel as you will not have a good datum off the spirit level sitting on top of the top wishbone arms.

Spirit level not measuring anything just using it as a base for the inclinometer so I can get the top wishbones horizontal (0.00 degrees), taking my measurements off of the disc face as you said. Passenger side (in the picture) I'm measuring zero degrees with no spacers, which in the manual is "OK" (0-1/4 degrees negative). Drivers side using the same method, again no spacers so can't remove any to reduce the angle, I'm measuring a full one degree positive! OK I know none of it is perfect but it's only a first go just to get everything "almost there" I'll get everything professionally set up at another date just trying to get as near as I can. As a side thought, could painting the chassis mounting points (Por15) and the swivel joints (Hammerite) make that much of a difference, won't take two minutes to clean up the face of both?

As I asked to start with though, should I be measuring anything horizontal or at "full droop" seems to be conflicting information on the search.

Graham.
    Last edited by Gatwick Axe Man; 10-09-19 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatwick Axe Man View Post
    Spirit level not measuring anything just using it as a base for the inclinometer so I can get the top wishbones horizontal (0.00 degrees), taking my measurements off of the disc face as you said. Passenger side (in the picture) I'm measuring zero degrees with no spacers, which in the manual is "OK" (0-1/4 degrees negative). Drivers side using the same method, again no spacers so can't remove any to reduce the angle, I'm measuring a full one degree positive! OK I know none of it is perfect but it's only a first go just to get everything "almost there" I'll get everything professionally set up at another date just trying to get as near as I can. As a side thought, could painting the chassis mounting points (Por15) and the swivel joints (Hammerite) make that much of a difference, won't take two minutes to clean up the face of both?

As I asked to start with though, should I be measuring anything horizontal or at "full droop" seems to be conflicting information on the search.

Graham.
    As already stated you don't do this at full droop but at ride height. When I did mine I had a similar problem (except on the near side), the only thing I could do was remove the upper inboard wishbone mount and get as much as I could milled off the back of it which in my case was just enough.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Hi Graham,

You can get everything set up using your inclino. You can get it close but final setting up once you have all the items fitted and ride height set plus fuel on board. I confirmed mine last year using an inclino and I know it was spot on which was reassuring. I was looking at checking for bump steer as a winter project and there are some excellent videos on youtube on how to check and confirm if you have this correct. I know some people who suffer bump steer issues and ended selling the car! There is also corner weights so lots to think about when your setting up your suspension then finally tyre pressures.

Hi Graham,

The details for both front and rear camber setting are in the build manual.

It is on the AK site. I used it and it's quite straight forward.

sceptic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast