Hybrid View

Those footwells don't get any wider, do they?

I built my GD when I was 27. I'm now 42 and haven't shrunk.
    Being an old fart and enjoying some creature comforts, I thought I'd fit a stereo into the Cobra (it's really very quiet with the underslungs) and after a lot of faffing about with a stereo I'd initially bought for it a few years ago that suddenly stopped working, I managed to fit one in the rear bulk head and it looks quite neat. Speakers are set into the panels above each footwell.

Works fine, certainly loud enough up to about 40mph (although difficult to change stations as I can't reach it with either hand without turning round) but the original GD loom doesn't have a permanent live feed to the rear, only ignition live.

The obvious thing would have been to use the heated rear window feed, bypassing the relay, but I've already modified the loom when fitting the LS1 and couldn't see which relay it was supposed to be, if any. Decided just to run a dedicated line from the fusebox (fuse 1) to the boot but to access it I had to get upside down in the footwell again.

I apologise to anyone within a 5 mile radius who heard my swearing but glad to say it is now fitted and working well. Wiring will need tidying but the speaker wires need hiding too
    Reverend Robin
    GD427 Euro

He who dies with the most tools wins

I hear you on the upside-down-in-the-footwell swearing.. I still need to finish plumbing the heater in, largely because I just don't physically fit upside down in the footwell! And I can never seem to give clear enough instructions for my other half to follow to do the job for me (so I avoid the inevitable argument by not asking )

Ironic, then, that I spent Saturday upside down in the footwell of her car, fitting a stereo..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

My heater goes to the footwell but I never managed to feed it into the demister.
    Reverend Robin
    GD427 Euro

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I hear you on the upside-down-in-the-footwell swearing.. I still need to finish plumbing the heater in, largely because I just don't physically fit upside down in the footwell! And I can never seem to give clear enough instructions for my other half to follow to do the job for me (so I avoid the inevitable argument by not asking )

Ironic, then, that I spent Saturday upside down in the footwell of her car, fitting a stereo..
    If you'd like to have an audience of hecklers - sorry, admirers of your athleticism I'm sure they could be gathered together. I'd volunteer to help but I'm too tall. Dek would fit just fine though....
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter29 View Post
    If you'd like to have an audience of hecklers - sorry, admirers of your athleticism I'm sure they could be gathered together. I'd volunteer to help but I'm too tall. Dek would fit just fine though....
    I realised how much age has on what used to be simple jobs like burying yourself down a footwell when I had to replace the nipple on the throttle cable. Shortly after I was diagnosed with an acromioclavicular shoulder joint problem! Of course I didn’t own up to the cause which would have led to : “why on earth is someone of your age driving a car like that?” The answer: “because it keeps me alive doc!”.
    Dek

https://imgur.com/STzuALb

Robin - you've got previous for this......
    Cobra not quite as shiny as my head

That was when I was testing it as a camper...
    Reverend Robin
    GD427 Euro

Quote Originally Posted by robinj66 View Post
    https://imgur.com/STzuALb

Robin - you've got previous for this......
    I got really stuck like that, it must have taken ten minutes to wriggle free - getting in was easy but I forgot that gravity wouldn’t be on my side when getting out
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.