Oil cooler thermostat temperature

Hi, I now have a sump guard fitted on my AK, which has a 6.3 SBC. Even though my new guard has louvres fitted to allow some air to reach the sump and starter motor, I am going to fit an oil cooler, to make sure the oil temperature does not get too high. For those with thermostats that control the oil flow through the cooler, what temperature should the stat open to allow oil to flow through the cooler circuit .

Paul.
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

You don't need one at all unless you intend to do track days, but if you do you don't want it opening till at least 90 deg.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Hi. I've armoured my sump by welding 3mm plate in the areas that had picked up damage from road use. I had a track day at Goodwood on the hottest day of the year. One of the sessions in the afternoon lasted 40 minutes. My Water temp and oil temp remained fine. I really wouldn't bother with a oil cooler.. Unless its just for show!!

cheers Clive
    On On

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    You don't need one at all unless you intend to do track days, but if you do you don't want it opening till at least 90 deg.
    Sorry, i mislead you there, i have actually fitted the cooler and pipes, but i still need to buy the adaptor flange fitting with built in thermostat and i will make sure it is 90 degree rated as suggested . The reason i thought i would fit one was because my sump guard has not got the open sides like Charlies, mine totally encloses the sump all round,which makes it very strong . I will post pictures once the cooler is fitted .
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.