Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Guessing you already have a drill and an angle grinder?
    Drill press is a useful extra.

Bench and vice.
    A rubbish bin
    Scrap metal sheet, angle. bar and wood for supporitng stuff/use as levers - rarely needed, but handy when you need it. Don't chuck stuff out.
    if not, B&Q is handy but pricey, else use ebay.

For jack, cheeckout Halfords shortie to allow ypu to jack the car up one its at ride height - these cars have poor ground clearence

Wheel nut spanner (from Halfords/ motor factors) - very handy for spinning off wheel nuts quickky

Aviation snips.
    Long nose pliers
    Hacksaw/jigsaw
    Fire extinguisher.
    Stout boots.
    Roll of bluroll, or loads of cheap kitchen wipes from aldi.
    Metric socket set.
    Imperial socket set if using a Rover or US engine.
    Set of spanners with C on one end and ratchet on the other - from Halfords, very handy.
    Hand Rivet gun
    Set of allen keys in various sizes.

Sand paper and wet'n'drympaper in various grades
    Cuting discs and sanding discs for angle grinder

Box of disposable rubber gloves if you don't like getting hands dirty.
    Yep got all the above (4 1/2" grinder and 9" just in case I'm in a hurry), except the fire extinguisher and rubber gloves. I throw my fags out the window and I'm not kinky

Tap and die set will be useful
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

Rivnut tool is also handy
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

I would say a basic tool kits comprising of both metric and imperial spanners, 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets with extensions. Good quality screwdriver set, hammers and torque wrench.
    These things will get you going and as you progress you will find out what else you need. It's pointless going to a classic car show or a snap on van, spending hundreds if not thousands on stuff that people say you will need and end up not using it.
    It is also pointless buying a tool for one job. There will be someone that will be willing to lend you 'that tool' if you only need it for one job.
    If you buy a trolley jack, then a low profile two ton capacity will sort you out. Available from about £100 upwards. You will also need this once the car is on the road.
    Don't scrimp on axle stands either. You will spend some time under the car both during the build and once it in the road. You don't want that thing coming down on top of you because of poor quality or unstable axle stands.
    Bench grinder is useful too but don't spend too much money on that.
    If you are going down the route of a compressor and air tools then a right angle air drill will be surprisingly useful.
    Machine Mart are a great source of tooling for reasonable quality and price.

Again, just my 2d's worth.

David.
    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    I would say a basic tool kits comprising of both metric and imperial spanners, 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets with extensions. Good quality screwdriver set, hammers and torque wrench.
    These things will get you going and as you progress you will find out what else you need. It's pointless going to a classic car show or a snap on van, spending hundreds if not thousands on stuff that people say you will need and end up not using it.
    It is also pointless buying a tool for one job. There will be someone that will be willing to lend you 'that tool' if you only need it for one job.
    If you buy a trolley jack, then a low profile two ton capacity will sort you out. Available from about £100 upwards. You will also need this once the car is on the road.
    Don't scrimp on axle stands either. You will spend some time under the car both during the build and once it in the road. You don't want that thing coming down on top of you because of poor quality or unstable axle stands.
    Bench grinder is useful too but don't spend too much money on that.
    If you are going down the route of a compressor and air tools then a right angle air drill will be surprisingly useful.
    Machine Mart are a great source of tooling for reasonable quality and price.

Again, just my 2d's worth.

David.
    Good advice thanks.

Please do get a fire extinguisher.
    These kits are GRP. That's flammable. You will be making your wiring loom live! You will be using oils and greases. you will be using pressurised fuel systems. All this in your garage. Which is probably attached to your house.
    Just a thought.
    sceptic

Quote Originally Posted by scepticwoody View Post
    Please do get a fire extinguisher.
    These kits are GRP. That's flammable. You will be making your wiring loom live! You will be using oils and greases. you will be using pressurised fuel systems. All this in your garage. Which is probably attached to your house.
    Just a thought.
    sceptic
    Well said - I think it was Charlie had a fire a few years ago.
    To the OP: Worth adding an FIA switch to the feed from your battery when you come to your build. Won't def stop a fire, but kills all power in the engine bay and dashboard area.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65XWrJSovP4
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

A Dremmel.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    A Dremmel.
    Yes, good shout. I have never had one and often think it would be a valuable tool generally.

Inclinometer and camber/castor gauge https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnetic-...kAAOSwDfJaBChY

Spirit level especially the long one to attempt to get the chassis level! https://www.toolstation.com/spirit-level-set/p31897

A warm (ish) garage floor, you're going to be in there/on it a lot https://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...ugg_q=flooring

Gloves, handy if you know a Nurse/Doctor. See if they can get you out of date ones from hospital/surgery, they go in the bin otherwise.

Swarfega, you will use/need it, https://www.screwfix.com/p/swarfega-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Tooth brushes, the real cheap ones from ASDA, pound shop etc, for all those little corners that will need cleaning/degreasing.

Cleaning rags, (bag of rags) you will use lots https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-KG-BAG...d75a7fd69f2722

Patience, more than you ever dreamed you had!

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast