Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What specific build tools will I need?

Hello again,

I have been lurking around here, on and off, for several years as the urge to build a Cobra just keeps coming back. I am almost now in a financial position to seriously start considering taking the plunge.

I am in the process of researching costs, so I can set myself a realistic budget. As I have not really ever worked on cars I am trying to ascertain how much money I will need to allocate for tools needed that I don't have.

I am talking of car specific tools, I have a good range of 'everyday' hand and power tools (grinders, drills, jigsaw, etc). I even have an inherited bench pillar drill which may be useful!

Could I ask advice as to what I will definitely need? I am thinking axle stands, trolley jacks and the like. I would like to budget for everything at the start, even if not needed straight away.

Ta

Andy

Take a look at SGS for jacks, axle stands, wheel dollies etc - have starter pack deals on for a better saving now and again too

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment

check out Halfords for their Pro socket kits - usual have less £100 deals on the 140+ piece kits

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...ls/socket-sets

good luck
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Thanks Neal, I'll have a look.
    What specific equipment can I not do without? I have socket sets (I even have a torque wrench!) and general tools just nothing specific to cars, or especially car building.

Brake pipe flaring tool

Brake pipe bender

Brake bleeder

Rivet gun
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

As I am a refrigeration engineer (or was), I have flaring and swaging kits, copper benders and a rivet gun.

One tool I do have at my disposal which may be very useful is a mate who is a stainless and aluminium fabricator/ welder. He doesn't know it yet but he will see me a lot more than usual!

Quote Originally Posted by Pondrew View Post
    As I am a refrigeration engineer (or was), I have flaring and swaging kits, copper benders and a rivet gun.

One tool I do have at my disposal which may be very useful is a mate who is a stainless and aluminium fabricator/ welder. He doesn't know it yet but he will see me a lot more than usual!
    Your fridge pipe stuff will all be the wrong size for brake pipes, also the flares are specific for braking systems not for your fridge stuff.
    Not expensive to buy

So axle stands, trolley jack(s), piping stuff. Around £300-400 so far. Anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Pondrew View Post
    So axle stands, trolley jack(s), piping stuff. Around £300-400 so far. Anything else?
    I would expect to pay about £60 for a decent set of axle stands and a trolley jack. You’ll probably need an engine hoist at some stage. About £250.
    A common problem is space, it’s very difficult to get everything you need in a single garage.
    Colin
    Dax Standard Chassis. Ford 302, AOD auto, DB s/s sidepipes, 2017 T reg.

Quote Originally Posted by 1dayiwill View Post
    I would expect to pay about £60 for a decent set of axle stands and a trolley jack. You’ll probably need an engine hoist at some stage. About £250.
    A common problem is space, it’s very difficult to get everything you need in a single garage.
    I will probably hire an engine hoist (my current neighbour has one but we are moving soon).

I do (and will) have a double garage. If need be I will rent a garage from the local council to store my other stuff during the build.

Guessing you already have a drill and an angle grinder?
    Drill press is a useful extra.

Bench and vice.
    A rubbish bin
    Scrap metal sheet, angle. bar and wood for supporitng stuff/use as levers - rarely needed, but handy when you need it. Don't chuck stuff out.
    if not, B&Q is handy but pricey, else use ebay.

For jack, cheeckout Halfords shortie to allow ypu to jack the car up one its at ride height - these cars have poor ground clearence

Wheel nut spanner (from Halfords/ motor factors) - very handy for spinning off wheel nuts quickky

Aviation snips.
    Long nose pliers
    Hacksaw/jigsaw
    Fire extinguisher.
    Stout boots.
    Roll of bluroll, or loads of cheap kitchen wipes from aldi.
    Metric socket set.
    Imperial socket set if using a Rover or US engine.
    Set of spanners with C on one end and ratchet on the other - from Halfords, very handy.
    Hand Rivet gun
    Set of allen keys in various sizes.

Sand paper and wet'n'drympaper in various grades
    Cuting discs and sanding discs for angle grinder

Box of disposable rubber gloves if you don't like getting hands dirty.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast