Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pondrew View Post
    Wow thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I think thanks to you I'm ready to take on the build now.

I'm definitely going down the turbo encabulator route. Will it work with my 1500 Lada 1 1/2 valve engine with underhead camshafters though?
    ah, the Turbo Encabulator,
    I upset a few people at work by promoting its use to students a few years ago - they didn't like it. One of my colleagues claimed I was mad.
    Here is a link to the original 1944 paper, upon which all the Youtube videos take their inspiration:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document...number=5328648
    https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5329571

and a link to the actual original text from JH Quick, sans figures, buried on a little known webpage at Imperial College London:
    http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ids/dotdot/...ncabulator.txt

Great British engineering, at its best.
    Last edited by KevinW; 12-09-19 at 09:48 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Pondrew View Post
    If you can build that, you can definitely build a car! Beautiful house.

Are you any good at tiling? I could use some, er, assistance after several fell off the wall of our (professionally built!) bathroom last night..

(Two fell off by themselves - carnage, smashed floor tile, chip in the sink, narrowly missed the toughened glass shower cubicle by some miracle! - the rest came off with fingertip pressure .. bah!)

Anyhoo.. The jargon you pick up as you go along, very few of us arrive at this job knowing the jargon already (OK, I did, but it's from years of modified cars - again, I didn't start off modifying cars knowing what I was doing already; I learnt it as I went along )..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post

Are you any good at tiling? I could use some, er, assistance after several fell off the wall of our (professionally built!) bathroom last night..

(Two fell off by themselves - carnage, smashed floor tile, chip in the sink, narrowly missed the toughened glass shower cubicle by some miracle! - the rest came off with fingertip pressure .. bah!)

Anyhoo.. The jargon you pick up as you go along, very few of us arrive at this job knowing the jargon already (OK, I did, but it's from years of modified cars - again, I didn't start off modifying cars knowing what I was doing already; I learnt it as I went along )..
    That tile adhesive was squirted on with a mastic gun! It could even be gripfill/mastic/silicone. If it is then the adhesive doesn't adhere to the tiles, just the wall. It's for reasons like that that I will not let any 'tradesmen' near me or my home.

A good example is that I had to get my boiler serviced recently (cos we are moving house). I designed and installed the entire heating system including controls, zoning, etc. It has worked absolutely faultlessly for three years, using very little fuel. So the 'qualified' service bloke comes and services it. Next day I realised we had no hot water (heating not on cos it's warm).Took the boiler apart and he had left the electrical plug unplugged and lying on the floor. He also isolated the quick fill loop internally so I had to strip the thing down get to it, even though there is an external isolating tap next to the boiler for this very reason.

So cost me £90 for a 'qualified' service and two hours to get the thing operating again.

Whizzed through the last comments on here and you are clearly capable
    However you will still be up against the same " Tradesmen " whilst appearing to be helping you ,they are simply emptying your wallet whilst educating their selves
    (Or not)
    Believe me... I started my build a the tender age of 44 with an excellent product that literally bolted together and passed probably one of the first SVA /IVA in 1999
    It still astounds me that in 2019 replica cobras are being built ...with a doubt over whether they will pass a current IVA !!!!!
    Honestly ....buy one ...otherwise the journey may destroy it for you
    This is not a hard sell but have a look at mine advertised on here and Car & Classic ...Aircraft engineer built (me )
    Just have a look and do the maths ...
    Don,t buy mine !...but have a look at all of them before you commit to a build. that you may regret
    Apologies for negativity....just trying to add a sense of reality for you
    Jon W

If you paid for someone to do that then they owe you all of the money back! (Small Claims Court is reasonably easy to do). Your only real option is rip it all off and start again - dot ‘n’ dab is for putting plasterboard up not tiles.

Ouch!
    Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Despite having a degree in engineering, I had little clue about car building when I started mine. Didn't even know what "M8" meant in regards to bolt dimension (or the difference between a bolt and a screw) but I managed to cobble mine together

It's no longer a cheap option since the advent of SVA/IVA but it at least it means that a light, powerful car should be better put together than some of the crud that used to be on the roads
    Reverend Robin
    GD427 Euro

He who dies with the most tools wins

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    If you paid for someone to do that then they owe you all of the money back! (Small Claims Court is reasonably easy to do). Your only real option is rip it all off and start again - dot ‘n’ dab is for putting plasterboard up not tiles.

Ouch!
    Jim
    Sadly the previous owners paid for it to be done - well, according to the paperwork that came with the extension.. likely it was "paid work" for their cousins uncles bothers sisters husband, however..
    My DeDion build diary..

Sadly the previous owners paid for it to be done - well, according to the paperwork that came with the extension.. likely it was "paid work" for their cousins uncles bothers sisters husband, however..
    My sympathies Aaron.
    Looks like the tiler hadn't even bothered to consult the YouTube DIY Oracle. Its probably chipped your bath as well?
    My ex did an excellent job tiling our old bathroom just using a book from the library as guidance - maybe give it a go? ..er no wait....that means there's even less garage time!
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Missed the shower - did clip the sink, though, and smashed a floor tile There hasn't been much garage time recently, although I have got the fuel tank almost completely plumbed in .. when some more filler hose turns up, because I cut the last piece about, oooh, 3cm too short. D'oh!
    My DeDion build diary..

Missed the shower - did clip the sink, though, and smashed a floor tile There hasn't been much garage time recently, although I have got the fuel tank almost completely plumbed in .. when some more filler hose turns up, because I cut the last piece about, oooh, 3cm too short. D'oh!
    Yup, that's fairly standard.
    In my case usually followed by very loud profanity, and on occasion, 17mm spanner thrown across the garage in anger (and then duck as it recoils off the wall).
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast