Engine number recognition

Hi guys

First post.

Bought my Pilgrim Sumo back in 2011 but due to working abroad in Kazakhstan the car has been virtually laid up ever since.

Now I am back working in the UK and I am getting the car ready for the road. I have the engine running but have a cooling issue.

The engine is a 3.5 V8 which I was told was from a Rover. However, the engine number does not match any records I can find on the internet.

Engine number is: RA 74381

I would like to solve the problem myself but I do need an engine manual to help me.

Would appreciate any bodies advice on how to determine from which type of car the engine came from.

Cheers

Jim

Some pictures of the engine from various sides and angles would be useful, somebody will recognise what it is, the trouble with numbers is that some people or tuning shops will grind them off and put their own numbers on
    Last edited by rpm015; 12-09-19 at 09:03 PM.

Are you sure that isn't a casting number?
    Are you looking in the right place? - I think its near the headers from memory.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Compare on Rimmers info site... https://rimmerbros.com/content--name...Engine-Numbers

The numbers are found on the N/S of the engine on a planed bed, facing up just below the heads.
    C an
    O nly
    B e
    R eal
    A drenalin
    Sumo, 4.2 RV8..... Edelbrock

Thanks for the helpful advice. I will take some photo's tonight when I get home and double check the engine block number.
    I took the number from the logbook (V5C)

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian606 View Post
    Thanks for the helpful advice. I will take some photo's tonight when I get home and double check the engine block number.
    I took the number from the logbook (V5C)
    If it's a rover engine you should be able to see a number where the head meets the block just near the dipstick, it should be a number followed by a compression ratio. The number you've got isn't a rover one

Gents

Thanks to all. As per the advice given the number was stamped on the N/S of the block and the number did not relate to the logbook entry.

Actual number was 11AF6047 with the compression ratio number stamped of 9.35:1 CR.

As per the Rimmerbros link this indicates a Rover SD1 engine built between 1976 - 87.

Really appreciate the help.

Have a good weekend.

Jim