AK Gen 3 engine install query

Hi,
    I've just dropped the engine and gearbox into the chassis, it went fairly smoothly. but I'm concerned about the orientation. Should it be central/straight in the transmission? If so then I'm going to have to remove the engine mounting plates and enlarge the holes to allow it to swivel.

I think I’d be trying to get it aligned as best as possible, main reason being if it’s slightly off, then it can have an impact on where the exhausts exit assuming using side pipes.
    Others may have a different opinion.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Hi
    I had the same on my AK gen 2. As there is some movement in the engine mounts I was able to centre the gearbox using the gearbox mount bracket to pull it back in line.
    I've done 1500 miles and no issues.

Pete
    Follow my progress here http://petesakcobra.blogspot.com

Thanks for the conformation, I enlarged the holes a few mm and now have everything central, just need to order some bigger washers and a transmission mount now. Then I guess its time to think about the side pipes and headers

Russell

It's the same on the Dax chassis - I believe this is to set the engine and gearbox in line with the diff input flange, which is offset to the offside, thus reducing stress on the UJs on the very short propshaft, which would otherwise be at too great an angle.
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

As I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong), propshafts should be offset so that the UJ's wear evenly but the input and output shafts must be parallel to avoid vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    It's the same on the Dax chassis - I believe this is to set the engine and gearbox in line with the diff input flange, which is offset to the offside, thus reducing stress on the UJs on the very short propshaft, which would otherwise be at too great an angle.
    Not correct I’m afraid. The gearbox should be in line with the chassis.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Idk3BVDVHq4
    Colin
    Dax Standard Chassis. Ford 302, AOD auto, DB s/s sidepipes, 2017 T reg.

A previous explanation from the great man himself:

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showt...674#post357674

Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

Hi guys, I've had the same issue with my gen 3, LS3 and Tremec 500 box and found that it does need correcting to centre the output shaft. I have also watched the video and at the end he does say that with the output from the gearbox and input flange of the diff parralell the rotational speeds are constant. Also the offset is not as extreme as in the video so I don't think there is anything to worry about.
    More of a worry with the alignment is the exhaust header outlet flange on the nearside, this has clashed with the corner of the passenger foot well resulting in some creative customerisation. So my advise is check this when trial fitting the body. I didn't get this opportunity as Roadcraft took 9 months to supply my headers which was too late during my build.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ian