Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

New build budget

So,

following on from my threads regarding my lack of prowess in all things car related and having come to the conclusion that I will need about £500 for tools that I don't currently possess. I want to set myself a reasonabe budget for this leap into the unknown.

I do want to set a realistic, but firm budget. I am 90% sure the kit will be from AK, a Gen111. I think I'm going to go with a turn-key LS3 with 6 speed Tremec, or Borg Warner. I want a top-notch spec, 'modern' look, lots of shiny bits.

So, does £45k sound realistic for an 'on the road' car, new parts so it can be registered as new?

I know people who spent 55k doing a gen 2 so you are going to have to be very frugal in would think

Paul

When I started on mine I put this spreadsheet together of all of the AK costs.
    If you update the prices to the current catalogue and update the quantities column, it will give you an idea of the cost.
    When I used it, I deleted the value in the remaining column once purchased and it gives you the amount you still have to spend.

Only covers the parts supplied by AK so you will need to add the cost of the windscreen and other brightwork along with lights and painting.

£45k might be pushing it a bit.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Bob
    AK GenII arrived 1st April
    Let the cursing begin.........

Add £10k at least, my Gen2 with LS3 and 5 speed TKO500 cost a little over £45k painted.

Buy the tools as you need them.
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Does anyone know of a way to 'personally' import new engines? It seems that by the time you buy an engine/ gearbox here, it has more than doubled in cost, as they are relatively cheap in the US. I understand there are shipping costs, duties, etc.

If you are not up to building an engine yourself then why not ask someone to build one for you? Unless of course you are after a particular engine? Would work out cheaper I would have thought. I built my own engine to my own specifications and it cost less than £1500. But that was a few years ago.
    If I were to build another Cobra then I would opt for a Ford unit. As it is I have a long term plan to replace my SBC with a Ford Cleveland but keep it pre 1974.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    If you are not up to building an engine yourself then why not ask someone to build one for you? Unless of course you are after a particular engine? Would work out cheaper I would have thought. I built my own engine to my own specifications and it cost less than £1500. But that was a few years ago.
    If I were to build another Cobra then I would opt for a Ford unit. As it is I have a long term plan to replace my SBC with a Ford Cleveland but keep it pre 1974.

David
    I definitely couldn't build an engine! I am of the mind, rightly or wrongly, that a modern (LS3) engine should be A. reliable B. have longevity with ever changing emissions regulations.

I think I will explore the UK based engine re-builders, though, to see whether it is worth my while going down this route. I will need a turn-key though.
    It ain't rocket science! Except rocket science.....that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pondrew View Post
    I definitely couldn't build an engine! I am of the mind, rightly or wrongly, that a modern (LS3) engine should be A. reliable B. have longevity with ever changing emissions regulations.

I think I will explore the UK based engine re-builders, though, to see whether it is worth my while going down this route. I will need a turn-key though.
    I know of a few Cobra owners that have had problems with modern LS engines. Great when they are working but more complex to diagnose problems than a carb based engine in my view. I don't wish to get into an online bun-fight about which is best but don't discount the older tech if reliability is a key consideration.
    Engine emissions are currently based on the age of the engine block. I'd be very surprised if the government try to apply modern emission standards retrospectively to older cars. It would consign a lot of classic vehicles to become non-driving museum exhibits.

Russ.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

My engine is a pre 1974 and thus is visual smoke only. I don’t know if the law has changed for new builds with old engines but if it hasn’t then that’s a consideration.

I go with older engine route, yes the ls is a great engine but they do seem to suffer on the electrics . A older engine on carbs that is set up well still takes some beating IMHO
    pete

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast