Body balance point

I need to remove my GD body (which can be done in about an hour, albeit with a petrol powered angle grinder ). I've found a list of bits that need to be undone to separate the two but seeing as I don't have any friends, I'm going to need to lift it off myself using a 9000lb winch and a pulley in the barn roof. Was thinking of attaching said winch cable to the harness points but is the body going to tip forward too much to lift it off?

I want to check the condition of the powdercoat, as well as see how the body mounts are holding up - potentially replacing them (with polyurethane?) and I'm determined to get that engine seam looking nicer as it was never finished to the standard I wanted...
    Reverend Robin
    GD427 Euro

He who dies with the most tools wins

Robin,

Nah, that won’t work unfortunately, it’ll tip forward a lot.

The poly mounts that you can find on the web......don’t work! (no fixing points for the bolts)

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

If I can feed a couple of long slings under each axle and join them in the middle then that should give me better balance, then. Don't need to take seats out then either!

Thanks for the heads up about the mounts - I'll look at buying normal ones if I need to.

Someone told me I should grind the top tunnel ones down - is that the case?
    Reverend Robin
    GD427 Euro

He who dies with the most tools wins

That would be better, just try and spread the load away from the wings though.

Yep, grind down otherwise they squeek/wear down the glass fibre. 3 of mine had delaminated (took 15 years mind!) so worth a periodical check & replace if they look worn.

Rgds

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

I lifted the body off mine a couple of years ago in the style you mention. I fould the centre point to be around the front seat mount bolt holes (Obviously yours may be in differfent place.
    This is a very delicate operation, if the body tilts one way or the other the centre of balance seems to shift and it seems to want to keep on going
    Lifting from the axles is a good idea but you will have to get the body high enough to get "line of sight" from one side to the other. If you put a sling through you'll have to make sure you prevent the sling trying to squeeze the body sides. Also at the front you'll be resting in the inner wings I think which is not a very strong area.
    I now have the luxury of a 2 post lift which makes this job so much easier.

I have a spreadsheet which I put together for a separation sequence. Obviously it's specific to my car but may help, you're welcome to it if you think it will be of use.

Good to see you back Robin.

I put the body on mine using the front seats mounting holes.
    Using a piece of 50mm x 50mm angle I drilled a hole in the centre as a lift point and then 4 x holes at the correct spacing for four lengths of 10mm studding. Put some bits of timber under the nuts/big washers under the body to spread the load. I used my engine crane to lift it. You'll probably still need someone to maintain the body level as it's unlikely it will be at balance.

HTH

Denis

Thought about buying a 2 post lift. Which one do you have?