Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks Aaron,

Is anybody running a non de-rated diff, have you experienced the above?

Alan.

P.S in touch with Ben and Russell.
    AK Gen II delivery date Oct '15
    IVA pass Dec '18.
    On the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

I don't believe mine is derated as there is no mention of this in anything I have from the kit manufacturer. Also, it passed that 40 ft-lb test. A reduction of 5 friction surfaces to three ought to have reduced the torque to about 24 ft-lbs, which is wasn't. I ought to re-do that test to be sure as it was a while back. At any rate, I havn't had any of those problems.

When my kit manufacturer first started out they were using E-type rear suspension. From what I found on line, an e-type weighs about 2810 lbs, where my car weighs about 2550. Not a lot of difference,, especially when you consider the E-type was probably nose heavy and the Cobra is close to 50:50. This may put the weight on the rear wheels very close in comparison.

E-type rear suspension was becoming more difficult to find, so they switched to a XJ sedan system which they narrowed. no mention of derating in my manual where they talk about selecting a unit. Doing a quick Google Search, I found a sedan weight of 4025 lbs. Anyone know if the differential was the same for both the XJ and the E?

I'm sorry I couldn't post anything more definite, but it's a little food for thought.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Quote Originally Posted by AKCobra View Post
    Thanks Aaron,

Is anybody running a non de-rated diff, have you experienced the above?

Alan.

P.S in touch with Ben and Russell.
    My friend built his Cobra with a non de-rated diff and it didn't corner well as said it just tries to continue on in a straight line, but when I applied slight throttle half way round a bend it got much worse and scared the life out of me (partly as it wasn't even my car). Diff came straight out and a de-rated one went in and it was a completely different car so much nicer.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

I had a de-rated LSD and found it quite unsettling especially in the wet. Swapped it for an open diff and it feels much more stable & predictable. Only downside i can see is that you can’t deliberately spin both wheels for 11s or doughnuts.
    Colin
    Dax Standard Chassis. Ford 302, AOD auto, DB s/s sidepipes, 2017 T reg.

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    My friend built his Cobra with a non de-rated diff and it didn't corner well as said it just tries to continue on in a straight line, but when I applied slight throttle half way round a bend it got much worse and scared the life out of me (partly as it wasn't even my car). Diff came straight out and a de-rated one went in and it was a completely different car so much nicer.
    Thanks Martin appreciated, going to get Ben to de-rate mine before it go's in.

Alan.
    IVA pass Dec '18.
    On the road Jan '19
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

Quote Originally Posted by 1dayiwill View Post
    I had a de-rated LSD and found it quite unsettling especially in the wet. Swapped it for an open diff and it feels much more stable & predictable. Only downside i can see is that you can’t deliberately spin both wheels for 11s or doughnuts.
    Lol, Colin your a man to my own heart!

Alan.
    IVA pass Dec '18.
    On the road Jan '19
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

Yeah i installed a salisbury dereated 288.1 P/L done by ward engineering, not IVA’d yet so cant comment. Not sure if ratio too low though. Its a powerful 289 Ford engine but with 4 speed. Guess i’ll suck it and see.

2.88:1 with a 4 speed should be perfect.. I have a 2.88 with a 6 speed, I guess I'll find out if it's too low for 6th
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I changed the the gearbox to a Tremec Magnum 6 speed which helped with the big jump and as I’m wasn’t interested in top end speed this gives me about 2000rpm at 70mph so not bad, probably a fair bit higher with a five speed. A real bugger to install though the chassis had to adapted. I did ask the forum if anyone had installed one to their Dax but only a few had fitted a GM t56 and thinking the should be the same size I shipped one over from Summit Racing and guess what it’s longer and wider, but no regrets the 4:09 and Tremec works brilliantly. I recon 3:77 married to a 5 speed would work well but not many about. Cheers Andy.

Isn't a 2.88 a high ratio?

Andy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast