Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Had my glass ones since 1987 and still going strong

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will go glass and keep my safety glasses on for when they explode!
    With regards to the mounting and my wing mirror mounts, am I going to have complications having used the lower screw point ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Had a glass one shatter with a loud bang when my son closed the door after getting out. Changed to plastic.

Andy

I've had glass ones for 25 years with no problems - yet!

I over tightened causing the glass to explode and that’s not an overstatement. Bits of glass were all over the boot and beyond. If a stone from a passing car in the opposite direction were to break it the driver would get a face and eyes full of glass. Think about it. The windscreen is laminated for that reason. Yes you may have got away with it for 25 years or more but tomorrow might be different. Can they be fitted for IVA? I don’t know. If not that’s the reason. If it’s glass in that position common sense dictates it should be laminated. Think about it guys. The difference in glass and perspex is minimal that you can only see with good eyes. Lecture over.
    Dek

I think they could be fitted for IVA, but the mounting hinges fail the radius test, rather than the glass .. and side glass on production cars is all toughened, rather than laminated (unless you have an Audi S8/Bentley/Rolls with double glazing, of course) - that said, the risk of a stone clipping a side window is far less than a stone clipping a wind wing, I imagine.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Just a thought.....if you go for glass as i have......has anyone tried applying a wrap to the inside face of the glass to prevent the shatter and projectiles? Clear film coating?
    Last edited by Julesdm; 23-09-19 at 11:03 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12