Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wind wings and visors

As my car will hopefully be on the road in the next week or two I am thinking of buying wind wings etc. I see there are a few people selling them and they come in perspex and glass. I have heard the glass ones can shatter and the perspex ones are a little cheaper.
    I would appreciate peoples thoughts and where best to buy them.
    I also have old style Raydot wing mirrors mounted on brackets to the screen so would appreciate peoples experience of how much that complicates things !

My screen is Brasscraft
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

I've had glass ones supplied by brasscraft on the car for about 3 years, never had a problem with them

Got deflectors and sun visors from brass craft. Went there in person to touchy feely very helpful

I have glass wind wings as well and never had a problem in over 15 years although there are people who have had issues.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

I ordered perspex because I'd heard about the odd one shattering and didn't fancy a face-full of toughened glass bits; Chris @ Brasscraft did warn me that they will scratch much more easily than glass, though, so they're still delicate, just in different ways!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I have poly carbonate for the reason above, you can purchase the hinges and screws from Chris @ Brasscraft.

Alan.
    AK Gen II delivery date Oct '15
    IVA pass Dec '18.
    On the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

i had glass ones - removed after reading about some shattering, so same as aaronjb re face full of glass - i replaced them with some perspex/polycarbonate ones that i made myself - 6mm poly, used glass ones as template, then edges sanded and polished so transparent too:

Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

I had a glass one shatter when a stone hit it. Certainly went with a bang and glass everywhere. I think I was just unfortunate as I still kept with glass and no issue 4 years on.
    Charlie
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

I had two break - one with a kid pulling it when I was elsewhere and the other when I reached across to pull it in and it shattered in my hand. I replaced them with polycarbonate which won’t break but it flexes when you pull it which I find annoying. They never seem as clear as glass ones either, but having broken one at 30 mph I don’t fancy having my pretty face spoiled by glass scars...

Before anyone from the East Mids wants to comment on that last sentence - remember I know where most of you live !
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    i had glass ones - removed after reading about some shattering, so same as aaronjb re face full of glass - i replaced them with some perspex/polycarbonate ones that i made myself - 6mm poly, used glass ones as template, then edges sanded and polished so transparent too:

Gary

I had glass ones but eventually managed to smash them both when closing the doors with the windows fitted !

I like your wing mirror utilising the wind wing fittings. I tried to come up with my own version but it only worked without the wind wing, which was easy for me because I had broken them

Last edited by bigblock427; 20-09-19 at 05:59 PM.

CONTEMPORARY CCX3-3741

FORD RACING DIVISION 515ci
    JERICO WC4 (Sold)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cGUj87r9bY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast