Sumo Mk3 Three Legged Roll Bar/Hoop

Hi guys,

I really want to fit a three legged single roll hoop to my Sumo so sourced an AK one and have had it powder coated black, but on reflection as these are only for aesthetics and if rolled in an accident would most likely bend back with the third, rear leg puncturing the fuel tank making a bad day even worse, has anyone considered this issue or fitted one like this without having to relocate the fuel tank?

Thanks.
    Thanks,

Grumbleweed

If you're not meant to eat animals, how come they're made of meat!?

If you roll it, you are likely dead anyway, if it catches fire, you'll just be more crispy, but still dead.
    Just my tuppence worth. How many cars have you rolled before?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Only three. Yes, that’s kind of what I was thinking too! I sat in the grey Sumo that Pilgrim currently have on sale, it has three legged roll hoops but the tank has been pushed back into the boot more (and filler cap in correct position within the wing) a.k.a a lot of work!

Why not just get another fuel tank made and mount it like AK, Dax and Crendon do underneath the floor of the boot.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Bear in mind. mot roll over bars are cosmetic.

Unless the rear leg is braced onto something structural and rigid, its likely to fold in the event of a rollover. The screen will also collapse towards you.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Yeh, the three legged thing is purely because I like the look of it, not expecting it to protect me at all but just wandered if other folks had considered the potential risk to the fuel tank or if IVA would have a problem with it? I was going to cut off the third, rear AK leg just after it past through the body.

I have fitted a three legged hoop to my Sumo, I welded up a small goal post in 50x25mm box section which spans the tank and bolts to the wheel arch either side to help secure the third leg. I also bent the hoop spigots back about 10 degrees to give it some rake. Did also think the goal post would give me a few more options when it comes to securing the seat belts. Also enabled me to fitted the fuel line and filter to the goal post.

Thanks Fartin, sounds like a good option, I’ll look into that option.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    If you roll it, you are likely dead anyway, if it catches fire, you'll just be more crispy, but still dead.
    Just my tuppence worth. How many cars have you rolled before?
    Haha, Kev you do make me laugh
    AK Gen II delivery date Oct '15
    IVA pass Dec '18.
    On the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.