Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fitting overriders & bumpers .. and/or quickjacks .. and/or grommets. Grumpy thread.

I bought a full set of overriders & bumpers from Europa - I'd rather run quickjacks, really, but this gives me a convenient way to mount the fog & reverse lamps and reflectors required for the IVA at the rear - and set about fitting them at the weekend.

At the rear, I'd already made the holes in the fibreglass to match the pre-drilled holes in the plates on the end of the chassis, set them at the same centres which were a perfect match for the overriders I'd already bought.

At the front, I hadn't made any holes and there are no holes in the chassis end plates, so I used the overriders (once they'd arrived) as the template and set about making the holes:

I also have a full set of front grommets from Finish Line. Fitted those by drawing around their major diameter, then drawing a minor diameter based on measurements and using the dremel to enlarge the holes. That went rather well, and the front fitted quite nicely through them:

Next came the rears.. I thought I'd do it exactly the same way as the fronts, since that went so perfectly, and then:

a) It turns out that the centers of the mounting tubes for the overriders are slightly larger than the centers for the quickjacks, which is rather annoying.
    b) It also turns out that the chassis plates are so 'far up' into the boot that when you dremel out the hole for the grommet ... you punch right through the boot floor at the same time

That picture is taken inside the boot, not underneath the car - the grommet is half in the boot, half underneath it.

So if it wasn't annoying enough that I don't know if I can create enough wiggle-room to fit the overriders in the same holes as the quickjacks might use .. now I have a hole in the boot floor to figure out how to fill, as well.

One step forward. Two steps back, as always! I've walked away for the evening, now, while I decide if I want to glass up all the holes at the back and make new ones slightly further down, or persevere with the mess that I already have.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Aaron

Have a beer and chill mate.

This was exactly the same on mine at the rear in 1987, so standards haven't risen from them days.

To get mine at the correct height I had to open out the boot floor where the grommet was and then make a covering plate, like a small box that fitted over the grommet and studding etc and then pop rivet this to the floor, more or less exactly what you have there.

Get the correct height of the nudge bar, this is what you and everyone will see. Once the inside has a slap of CGP all over it and it is carpeted no one will ever be the wiser.

These are all kit cars and have the failings of kit cars, no matter how much we want them to be real or look it there will always be a compromise because they are what they are.

I have corrected and painted more of these over the years that I care to remember, some of the early ones were dreadful, but they can all be made to look right if you accept a little bit might not be right where you cant see it.

Don't fret chicken, it will get there, but don't compromise on the visuals, get it to look right.

Have another cold one

Ciao

It's wrong/not right, nothing you can do just now to change that. Walk away, have a beer or two, watch some crappy American car building show on Discovery (Diesel Brothers ain't too bad) As Bigblock said "chill". I've walked away from mine so many times I've lost count and I've only just finished the suspension! Yesterday, first brake line little one about five inches long with a 90 degree bend, took all afternoon and half a dozen attempts. Sat there for hours thinking WTF, figured it in the end and it looks damn good! Stop when you are in front or you'll just make it "wronger/worserer". It will still be there tomorrow, just as annoying, just as frustrating, just as "what the f**k am I doing". Take 5 and remind yourself why you want it, where you are going to drive it and how bloody good you'll feel when you say "no actually, I built it"!

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

Cheers both I did a little googling this morning, spurred on by Bigblock's (er .. Dave? I have a terrible memory for names) advice of "They're all like that, Sir" and it looks like the bumper is further up on a real one even, and I was worried it was already too far up.. so I'll plough on from where I am! Just need to jiggle both holes a little to spread them apart so that the overrider tubes will fit through (and not so far that the quickjack's won't) and then glass in the inside so that the water stays on the outside where it's meant to..

I was looking at these two for point of comparison:

My DeDion build diary..

Top one looks right, a sod to get to the handle.
    David it is

Do it right and do it once.

Oh and its Michelle at weekends

Mine is more like the bottom picture at the moment - that's about as high up as it can go without the whole fixing ending up in the boot floor, I think; but I'll tweak the top hole up a little and the bottom down a little, and should end up with something that works both for the bumper (for the IVA) and qu.. uh, any subsequent changes.

The OH really likes the bumpers, I much prefer quickjacks. We'll see who wins

Thanks, Michelle!
    My DeDion build diary..

I took a brave pill and started attacking the inside of the boot with the Dremel, a diamond cut-off wheel and drum sanders..

I ended up with a sizeable hole, but this means that I can actually get at the back nut with the fuel tank in place (so for future servicing/painting, I won't have to drop the fuel tank) - as long as I make a removable cover plate:

Once that was done and the holes for the grommets were finessed a little bit, the bumper was on complete with overriders, reflectors and reverse & fog:

Now .. I have my doubts as to whether reverse & fog will pass the IVA if they are just "wedged" in there (anyone been through the test like that?) or if I'll need to mount them somehow .. I could just P-clip them to the bumper:

I set about some Cardboard Aided Design to make a cover piece for the boot floor:

Then I decided that it was a bit large and ugly, so plan B - cover the boot floor in mould tape, use some PVC pipe to make a 'bump' and then I'll glass straight over that in situ, remove the piece, remove the tape, and probably bathroom sealant it in place for the time being!

I also took the time to cut & install the stainless steel tube for the front bumper; could do with being polished to match, really, if they end up staying..

My DeDion build diary..

Nice work Aaron.
    I probably wouldn't bother with the box covering. Can't you buy a box from RS, and cover with carpet?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I bent a bit of ally and then I think riveted it into place, cant quite remember. Did need it to come off though when I took them off to paint it.
    Long time ago.

Cracking on there.

First thing the examiner will do is push the fog/reversing lights to see if he can move them from vertical. I had to sikaflex supports to the back of mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast