Pinion Gear Seal Replacement

Hi everyone,
    I have a leak from the front seal of the XJ6 diff.
    Has anyone done this on a GD? How hard is it? Not a lot of space to play with it.
    I do have a pit to work in, should make it easier!
    Can you give me any tips on doing it right and what definitely I should not do!
    Thanks in advance
    Murray
    Cheers,
    Murray

That's the trouble with you Sailors, long hair, quick zips and, Oohh, look at the size of that!!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Thank you for that, I had seen it but thought that it was all about exhausts!
    Looks simple enough if you have a lift but hopefully I should be able to do it in my pit.
    Cheers,
    Murray

That's the trouble with you Sailors, long hair, quick zips and, Oohh, look at the size of that!!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Thank you for that, I had seen it but thought that it was all about exhausts!
    Looks simple enough if you have a lift but hopefully I should be able to do it in my pit.
    Not going to be a lot of clearance in the GD chassis. particularly with the body on. I have mine separated at the moment, let me know if you think any photo's would help

Hi Murray,

I have just done the same thing on my Jag based Mk3 and I decided that the easiest way was to drop the whole back axel out. While it was out, I also replaced all the bearings and oil seals on the output shafts and the hubs. Should have done it when I built the car originally in 2004!

The hardest part was finding what seals and bearing were required because my diff. is a 1974 model which is when Jaguar was changing from the earlier to the later version.

While I was replacing the back axel I changed the position of the Tee on the Brake line to make it easier to get at. It is now over the top of the diff. unit and accessible from a hole inside the boot.

Mike.