MG steering rack pinion adjustment

I am getting a fair bit of play in my steering. The column moves all the way down to the rack without any slop so it is going to be track rods or pinion.
    The rack was bought reconditioned so I am thinking the rack and pinion are not adjusted well. I believe it involves taking the cap off and shimming.
    Has anyone got experience before I take it apart and end up with a pile of bits on the floor !
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Hi Paul,

Congrats on successfully IVA and registration on your SR - great stuff - hopefully well worth the wait for you

Can't help with your particular issue i'm afraid but you may find you want to replace the MG rack completely in order to remove any bumpsteer issues the SR appears to have when using the MG rack - Dave Clarkson replaced his with an, iirc, left hand drive mondeo rack (unsure of year/model)

Do a search on the forums for +srv8 +steering as it has been discussed a fair few time - myself included - lol.

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    Hi Paul,

Congrats on successfully IVA and registration on your SR - great stuff - hopefully well worth the wait for you

Can't help with your particular issue i'm afraid but you may find you want to replace the MG rack completely in order to remove any bumpsteer issues the SR appears to have when using the MG rack - Dave Clarkson replaced his with an, iirc, left hand drive mondeo rack (unsure of year/model)

Do a search on the forums for +srv8 +steering as it has been discussed a fair few time - myself included - lol.

rgds
    Gary
    I think this is the thread you are talking about
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Thanks for the responses. At this stage I just want to get the car running at an acceptable level. Changing the steering rack is something for another day after 28 years of getting it on the road !!!
    I will try taking the cap off and take a look. The MG forums seem to imply it is fairly easy.
    The steering was much better today anyway having dropped the tyre pressures and some wheel alignment.
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

It is indeed easy to take the cap off and get to the shims, however I would not know where you might get the shims from.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    It is indeed easy to take the cap off and get to the shims, however I would not know where you might get the shims from.
    Andy Jennings is a top bloke for MGB parts https://www.mg-cars.org.uk/andyjennings/
    otherwise MGHive or Midlands Sports and Classics
    Stu

probably won't need any new shims - as I recall there are a mixed set in there and easy to remove/replace to just stop binding from being over-tight if you take too many out.. It can help, but if not then its replacement rack for the ball sockets which do wear. Check you have the right oil in there too.