Valve lash - chevy SBC

Hello,
    Done nearly 2000 miles since passing IVA earlier in the year so thinking about jobs I want to do over the winter.
    One on my list is checking/setting valve lash. I've got a chevy 350, with hydraulic lifters and scorpian roller rockers.
    Has anyone done this themselves and what was the procedure you followed?

Thanks

Pete
    Follow my progress here http://petesakcobra.blogspot.com

It's a simple procedure but to be honest, if it's not rattling you probably don't need to do it.

For each cylinder in turn:
    1. Rotate the engine until both lifters are on the cam base circle.
    2. Loosen the rocker nut until the push-rod can be twisted easily between your fingers
    3. Tighten the rocker nut until the push rod shows a slight resistance to twisting
    4. Tighten the rocker nut one whole turn further.
    5. Repeat for the other valve.

There are tables online that tell you how to position a cylinder on its base circle.

Great thing about hydraulic cams is that it does not have to exact, you are not setting the valve clearance, the lifter does that for you.

Good luck.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

I also did this a few years ago. I strongly suggest fitting poly locks if you don't have already, then be careful not to set it excessive or you will cause some damage and excessive wear to the push rods etc...

When i did mine i drained down all the lifters over a few days.

i did mine a couple of years back - twice (got disturbed whilst doing the first lot and lost count/track of where i was up to, so had to start again - lol) - I followed that which Myles posted above - the push rods should be able to turn spin when rockers are tightened up, but there should be no up/down movement iirc.

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

This is my preferred method. Two turns of the crank and half a turn on the lash for hydraulic lifters.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Valvelashadj.jpg

James

I need to check what engine that tables for thou as firing order specific.