Removing Chevy V8 Out Of Dax Cobra

Hi Guy’s,

i want to to remove the engine to make good the engine bay and spruce up the engine etc. Is is best to support the Bell Housing and remove the engine or is it better to remove the engine and Gearbox together?

also is there anything to watch out for, is a standard engine crane you to the job etc.

Any feedback will be great fully received

Best Regards

Richard

Hi Richard.

Without having done it but having built my Dax, I would probably separate the gearbox from the engine and remove just the engine as there is plenty of space at the front of the car to move it forward, up, then out. Plenty of room too to get at the gearbox from inside the car.
    I am about to do a gearbox change on my car and having studied it for a while I don't see any problems (yet!) in doing the task with the engine remaining where it is.
    In your case make sure the front of the gearbox is well supported whilst clearing the engine from the first motion shaft other wise you could end up in a whole world of pain if it drops.
    To lift the engine out, you remove the carb from the induction manifold and fit a lifting plate in its place. This will have an eye in it to attach the hook on your crane to. Surprisingly, this works considering how small the studs are and what weight they can support.
    I made my own plate and still have it somewhere in the shed from 18 years ago when I built and fitted my engine.

David.
    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    Hi Richard.

Without having done it but having built my Dax, I would probably separate the gearbox from the engine and remove just the engine as there is plenty of space at the front of the car to move it forward, up, then out. Plenty of room too to get at the gearbox from inside the car.
    I am about to do a gearbox change on my car and having studied it for a while I don't see any problems (yet!) in doing the task with the engine remaining where it is.
    In your case make sure the front of the gearbox is well supported whilst clearing the engine from the first motion shaft other wise you could end up in a whole world of pain if it drops.
    To lift the engine out, you remove the carb from the induction manifold and fit a lifting plate in its place. This will have an eye in it to attach the hook on your crane to. Surprisingly, this works considering how small the studs are and what weight they can support.
    I made my own plate and still have it somewhere in the shed from 18 years ago when I built and fitted my engine.

David.
    Hi David,

Thank you for your very helpful reply, it sounds as straight forward as it looks, I have had the Cobra now for about 6 years, it was built in 2002 to a good standard but with the engine having a few small oil leaks and the engine bay needing a good spruce up to make it immaculate, it lends itself to a good enjoyable winter project. Thank you again for your feedback. I take it the carpeted Tunnel comes away to get access to the Gearbox if I ever needed it.

Best Regards

Richard

The tunnel will vary from car to car as different builders have different ideas. Some people pop rivet the tunnel in place, some people including me fit rivnuts and machine screws for ease of access.
    Pull the carpet back to reveal the edges and either break out the screw driver or a drill!

Unbolt the gearbox from the engine, prop up the gearbox and pull the engine out separately. Done this three times now - almost got it down to a fine art.
    Extending the arm on my engine hoist by 6” helped to reach over to the centre of the engine
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JamesP View Post
    Unbolt the gearbox from the engine, prop up the gearbox and pull the engine out separately. Done this three times now - almost got it down to a fine art.
    Extending the arm on my engine hoist by 6” helped to reach over to the centre of the engine
    James
    Hi James,

Thank you for your feedback, very useful !!

I will be hiring an engine crane, can you remember the complete length of the arm including your 6" extension please so that I can try and hire a big enough crane etc as if the arm is too short I can imagine it will make it quite difficult as I do not have the space to come in from the side.

Thanks again

Rich

Hi Rich
    I’m not too far from you, just outside Newbury. Do you want to borrow my crane? (And stand or cradle if needed)
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JamesP View Post
    Hi Rich
    I’m not too far from you, just outside Newbury. Do you want to borrow my crane? (And stand or cradle if needed)
    James
    Hi James,

What a kind offer !!

Yes for sure if that will be okay with you, will of course look after your equipment etc.

Can you confirm a mobile number please so that I can contact you.

I won't be looking to do it until the start of December if that will still fit ?

Thank you again and speak soon.

Best Regards

Rich

You have a PM.