Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Lay Up

Winter Lay Up

For various reasons I'm not going to be able to use the cob for around 5-6 months (NO you cant borrow it !)
    Would it be best to put the thing up on axle stands with the wheels off or just let it sit on the ground with wheels on?
    MKIII Pilgrim Sumo. 3.5 Litre Rover V8 Towing an Eriba Puck Caravan

Mine sits from about now until May. Never do a thing other than turn it off and walk away. Same thing since 1996.

Putting it on axle stands takes weight of the tires, but allows the suspension to fall to full droop. Can't think why this might be bad, but I remember reading somewhere that it wasn't a good idea. So... there's an internet rumour for you to ponder.

If I was to do something, I might disconnect the battery. I do seem to gather corrosion on one of the battery posts over the winter. The negative one I think, but disconnect either will break the circuit.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

- ah, but how cold and damp is your winter in your garage John?

- putting it up on axle stands without removing wheels can I think twist rubber suspension bushes. Removing the wheels takes much of the load, although it will remian 'drooped'.
    I think 'tyre savers' are one of the best ways to preserve a static wheel/tyre, or up on wheel dollies. Just my 10c worth.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

If you are going away and not having any contact with the vehicle ? Then six months might well flat spot the tyres. If not move the car every month should not flat spot your tyres. Try and turn the engine over as well to get oil round the engine. I have seen reports that is best to store a car with fresh lub so change all the oils for storage.

I leave mine for two to three months and fires no problem with no battery recharge!

[QUOTE=KevinW;590771]- ah, but how cold and damp is your winter in your garage John?[QUOTE]

Unheated garage. Winter can drop to -22degC outside (usually only about -12 or so), although inside temp rarely goes below freezing. I guess heat from the ground helps. Quite damp which means having my frame powder coated was a good idea. I think it's also saved my tires which are very old (circa 1996).

Anyway, the main reason I am making a reply is something I forgot previously: Don't leave your Emergency Brake ON. Just leave the car in gear.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

I disconnect the battery but give it an occasional trickle charge, over inflate the tyres, start and bring up to temperature and run it up and down the drive occasionally to work the brakes. I think there is a lot of controversy and different opinion about starting the engine and leaving on tick over with regard to engine wear. Some people think it does more harm. The first thing to suffer due to lack of use is usually brakes hence dragging it out the garage to get them working.
    Dek

I have taken my Dax off the road for six months every year for the last 11 years. Locked away in my garage with no attention at all, as I'm away.

Placed up on axle stands some times fully off the wheels and some times with tyres still in contact. A green house heater under the car, a cover over the car. The battery disconnected and mouse poison in the cockpit. Handbrake off and fingers crossed has always been OK..

Cheers Clive
    On On

You must get cramp keeping your fingers crossed for six months at a time, Clive!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Pump the tyres up to 30+ psi and put a ctek charger on it

Make sure the antifreeze is OK if there's a chance of freezing.

Also change the oil if yours is old

Na it's the arthritis, that's why I had the gay power steering!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast