Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    I'm lucky - mine have 'Dax style' brackets on the outlet end, so I can basically bolt them on the same way the Dax sidepipes mount albeit with the mounting point in a slightly different place (as I think they're a hair shorter) - I'll take some pictures for you
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

So this is how the brackets look, close up:

The bracket is welded to the outlet on the straight section, and then the mount is a sturdy (very!) piece of bent strap steel which bolts to the exhaust with an M8 bobbin (or M10 .. I er, can't recall now!) and then you bolt the strap steel to the chassis at an appropriate position.

Here the strap steel is wedged between the jack pad holding the car up and the chassis, so that's the correct relative angles to keep the outlet basically parallel to the ground. Only one mount per exhaust, on the tail section, so given the angle my headers are going to be at I suspect I might need spring retainers on that end to keep the primaries attached to the headers.
    My DeDion build diary..

Having left the door shut on the garage, more or less, for a week, I thought I'd carry on 'dressing' the temporary engine so I can figure out throttle cables, heater hoses, that kind of thing.

Thought I'd fit the coolant header tank and see if it clears the bonnet, today:

It does not. To the tune of about 2".

I know the tank needs turning 180 degrees to make the outlet point the right way, but I don't think that's going to gain me much (a cm or so at most) with the curve of the bonnet.
    I could probably get the tank re-worked to shorten the elbow and move the tank down an inch or 1.5", and have a wedge spacer made up to tilt it forward a little.. even that might not clear the bonnet.
    The engine can drop maybe 1-1.5" before the crank pulley will hit the steering rack.

None of these things are within my skill-set, the worst being dropping the engine which would mean new engine mounts need making.

I'll probably shut the door on it for a few more weeks and see how I feel in spring and/or if my rebuilt engine ever comes back.
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Having left the door shut on the garage, more or less, for a week, I thought I'd carry on 'dressing' the temporary engine so I can figure out throttle cables, heater hoses, that kind of thing.

Thought I'd fit the coolant header tank and see if it clears the bonnet, today:

It does not. To the tune of about 2".

I know the tank needs turning 180 degrees to make the outlet point the right way, but I don't think that's going to gain me much (a cm or so at most) with the curve of the bonnet.
    I could probably get the tank re-worked to shorten the elbow and move the tank down an inch or 1.5", and have a wedge spacer made up to tilt it forward a little.. even that might not clear the bonnet.
    The engine can drop maybe 1-1.5" before the crank pulley will hit the steering rack.

None of these things are within my skill-set, the worst being dropping the engine which would mean new engine mounts need making.

I'll probably shut the door on it for a few more weeks and see how I feel in spring and/or if my rebuilt engine ever comes back.
    Aaron
    Does you tank bottom outlet bolt directly to the block ?

Suggest you unbolt gearbox cross member and jack up gearbox using trolley jack to tilt the engine. That will help a bit.

Take a look at your headertank - there is quite a lot that can be chopped out from the vertical part of the filler pipe from the manifold - I took out an inch, could have taken more.
    Any radiaotr place can do it - make sue they leak test it in a water tank first. Mine was done by Guildford Radiators in Cranleigh.

Could be worse....you could be trying to fit knock-ons instead ...
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Raising the gearbox !
    After reading your #17 post on the gearbox angle and seeing the tailshaft photo
    any higher and the prop will hit the prop hoop.

I see you have the smooth bonnet.
    I take it your engine will have a filter or need a similar hood scoop
    From Outcast will be required .
    (His car body modifactions are all 1st class)
    Looking at the rocker cover filler car – does this even clear the bonnet?

The header tank only needs to be at the highest level
    Ie highest from the rest of the engine coolant so can be mounted
    At the rear or anywhere really.

You are reluctant to even consider lowering the engine which would
    Help out with the prop angle.
    A mobile welder chappie from the phonebook could be hired to weld the chassis plate a little lower
    This would involve slicing off the top plate with the slotted part and re-positioning
    It a little lower.
    I am sure you could mark out the amount that needs to come off the plate
    And using a grinder with cut-off blades remove a small section in order
    That the mobile welder chappie could glue it back on

If it’s any help you are welcome to come to mine with a camera and a tape measure! I am running an FE in a Dax complete with header tank. I use standard FE engine mounts on to home made chassis fixings. I’m not that far from you, probably 75 mins. (Near Chipping Norton) You could also look at gearbox alignment (from underneath at least as I am lucky enough to have a full height ramp). I have plenty of time, I gave up working for a living last year!!

...raising the gearbox simply allows you to get an idea of how much movement is needed to gain clearence from the bonnet as skin thickness can be difficult to deduce, thats all.

Ofcourse an ali bonnet might gain you another 1/2" - you could ask Dave ....just joking.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Guess how high the gearbox would need to be tilted/lifted to gain just 1mm of bonnet clearance? taking into account the pivot point would be the engine mounts !

My engineering design backgound ( I was the tea boy) tells me there is a better solution.
    Last edited by drammyboy; Yesterday at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    So this is how the brackets look, close up:

The bracket is welded to the outlet on the straight section, and then the mount is a sturdy (very!) piece of bent strap steel which bolts to the exhaust with an M8 bobbin (or M10 .. I er, can't recall now!) and then you bolt the strap steel to the chassis at an appropriate position.

Here the strap steel is wedged between the jack pad holding the car up and the chassis, so that's the correct relative angles to keep the outlet basically parallel to the ground. Only one mount per exhaust, on the tail section, so given the angle my headers are going to be at I suspect I might need spring retainers on that end to keep the primaries attached to the headers.
    Cheers for that

Andy

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415