Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
    Actually .. I have one of those It's in the cabin - that's what my 50/50/50/25A fuses are in (with one mega fuse before them) - some head scratching required to figure out how to get three cables onto it. I have no idea why this melts my brain so much!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Actually .. I have one of those It's in the cabin - that's what my 50/50/50/25A fuses are in (with one mega fuse before them) - some head scratching required to figure out how to get three cables onto it. I have no idea why this melts my brain so much!
    try one of these:
    https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/2-post...MaAsCSEALw_wcB

or

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/busbar-heavy-duty
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Ooh .. I think I have one of those, too! Maybe the second one, possibly both. I have a lot of wiring bits in a drawer..

[edit] Ah - while the original originality pedant is in the house.. Kevin, I'm assuming original cars had an external starter solenoid? Any idea where it lived?
    Last edited by aaronjb; 21-02-21 at 07:14 PM.
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Ooh .. I think I have one of those, too! Maybe the second one, possibly both. I have a lot of wiring bits in a drawer..

[edit] Ah - while the original originality pedant is in the house.. Kevin, I'm assuming original cars had an external starter solenoid? Any idea where it lived?

Yes they did, and it was located on the firewall above the drivers footbox.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

See, I knew you'd know, ta

So my new "Fits your Ford FE" alternator turned up from Summit racing this morning - this one https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-77491 - selected after extensive research in Powermaster's catalogue and listed as fitting Ford FE in the stock location etc.

Well. It fits. As long as you accept "rubs against the head" as fitting.. I mean you can still move it, it's not jammed hard against it, but definitely rubs the very back of the casting against the head. Sigh.

The only smaller alternators I can find are either insane money or 50A, and I reckon 50A just isn't going to be man enough to keep the battery charged with ePAS. Back to the drawing board.
    My DeDion build diary..

Aaron,
    Can you move it away from the head on the bottom pivot point using a longer top bracket? Then just a long belt is required and new bracket. I agree 50A and PASa will not be enough with lights on plus wipers etc.
    Also try and rotate the alternator as you might find two fixing positions using the three holes

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Hadn't seen those - I'll see if they know how long it is.. 4.25" seems about the limit!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Aaron,
    Can you move it away from the head on the bottom pivot point using a longer top bracket? Then just a long belt is required and new bracket. I agree 50A and PASa will not be enough with lights on plus wipers etc.
    Also try and rotate the alternator as you might find two fixing positions using the three holes
    There's only two holes on my alternator(s) - one at the top and one at the bottom, as it were.. it might rotate further away as there isn't much in that space I don't think.. I'll have to see when the engine is back in the car again I think. There's another alternative of a "low mount" but I suspect that would hit the chassis rails..

Sigh - it's the frustration of "Hurrah! The thing I've been waiting for has been delivered!" immediately followed by "It does not fit as advertised" - which .. seems to be endemic in kit cars, somehow!
    My DeDion build diary..

This would be an edit if I could, but..

Hold up, it's possible there is a gnats co.. er, a tiny bit of clearance and that my upper bracket is slightly bent (not entirely surprising, they are salvaged from the original truck motor). I'll need to have a fiddle and check the belt alignment; it'll only be about 40 thou clearance at best, but clearance is clearance (Clarence)! Assuming the belt still lines up, of course.

Not that I have a belt yet - the one I bought is too long because I forgot my March pullies are under-drive
    My DeDion build diary..

Well it's definitely possible to get one to fit! Might it be that you need to space your pulleys a bit? My alternator is on standard FE pulleys but the top one is spaced 5 or 6 mm. That gives my 'Lucas type' alternator just enough space to clear the head and get the wires on although it is tight. You are very welcome to come and look at mine or maybe I could send you a video or do some more careful measurements, including pulley stand offs????

The little alternator I sent you earlier is what I have just bought for the GT40. You think you have space issues! It is going to be a right fettle to get one in the 40 without it being along side me in the cabin!!!!!
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast