Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
    True enough - there is acres of space around the front of the motor in the Cobra (not so much the sides, maybe)! And .. hm, yes - a few spacers and everything could come forward a bit. I think I was too close (pardon the pun) to think of that (well, remember it as I'm sure you mentioned it previously). Heck, I can mock it up with washers behind everything..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

whatever you choose will be tight.
    i can just about bend the wires round so they don't touch the ede' heads - seems OK.

Just my tuppence worth....
    i also think you need to think about battery size and current budget.

How often are you going to have that heated windscreen on, blowers on full blast, fan on, lights on and twirling the steering like its guest spot on Come Dancing?
    And even when you do decide to do all that, so.....? charge like comes on for a bit...who cares...you'll know why, and you'll be underway in no time and then it'll go out. Unless that EPAS unit continually sucks current out of the system? Just get a big battery (or carry a spare battery) and put on trickle charge when you get home. Simples.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Oh, probably should have said, I run double v pulley on the top/water pump, the inner belt is the drive from the crank and then using the outer v for the alternator gives me a bit more space and allows the alternator to be further forward i.e. away from the head.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

I only have single-groove pulleys .. although I could buy another set of March pulleys, I'd rather not if I can help it!

But I could make up some 1/8" spacers for both pulleys (water pump and crank) and the alternator brackets, and slide everything forward.

I have no idea why I wrote "pullies" earlier and was entirely convinced that was the correct spelling..
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    whatever you choose will be tight.
    i can just about bend the wires round so they don't touch the ede' heads - seems OK.

Just my tuppence worth....
    i also think you need to think about battery size and current budget.

How often are you going to have that heated windscreen on, blowers on full blast, fan on, lights on and twirling the steering like its guest spot on Come Dancing?
    And even when you do decide to do all that, so.....? charge like comes on for a bit...who cares...you'll know why, and you'll be underway in no time and then it'll go out. Unless that EPAS unit continually sucks current out of the system? Just get a big battery (or carry a spare battery) and put on trickle charge when you get home. Simples.
    Well, all I'm really trying to avoid is the headlights going dim when I'm steering.. but even adding up the small loads gets to some quite impressive figures:

Fuel pump, 5A
    Headlights, 10A
    Let's assume the fan is on, optimistically 15A
    ePAS, presumably will vary anywhere between a few amps and 50A

You're already up to 30A before you start steering.. maybe it's not a real world problem and a 50A alternator would be enough; although I know the 1G-style externally regulated alternators are more like 30A at idle, only 50A in general driving, maybe it would be fine.. I'm kinda assuming the heated screen will probably almost never be used in real life (I almost regret getting it) and the blower, likewise.

Maybe I should have just got a replacement 1G externally-regulated 50A alternator (the period correct OE alternator).. £85 to my door, plus a regulator.
    My DeDion build diary..

Bear in mind that you’ll only be at full load for a few mins and your battery will give you 60 odd amps for an hour or so (probably 30A in the real world unless you want totally kill it) on its own as a buffer should the alternator run out of puff.
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    Bear in mind that you’ll only be at full load for a few mins and your battery will give you 60 odd amps for an hour or so (probably 30A in the real world unless you want totally kill it) on its own as a buffer should the alternator run out of puff.
    ....exactly my thoughts!
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Fine fine :P So er.. incidentally..

Where would the regulator live on original cars, Captain Anora.. I mean, Originality
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Fine fine :P So er.. incidentally..

Where would the regulator live on original cars, Captain Anora.. I mean, Originality
    Your kind words, as always, appreciated

If you mean the regulator for the charging system, then on top of footwell - see post #7 here:
    http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/igni...placement.html

You cannot buy them in the UK (or at least I couldn't find anyone that sold them) if you want the correct item (black with a suitable sticker).
    So I gave up....there have to be some limits!
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Most modern alternators don't need one of course.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast