Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Jealous of that lift!
    Yeah I have lift envy too
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

If I was buying it again, I wouldn't go for the "mobile" version - a) because that is taking serious liberties with the word "mobile" and b) because the fixed version lifts twice as high.. This goes just high enough to be useful, but not high enough to walk under without crawling on your hands and knees, which can get annoying! Plus, it's only really mobile on a billiard table flat garage floor as it weighs in excess of 500Kg.. eventually I'll move it to the other garage, and that will need the engine hoist to lift it off the ground and onto a trailer.

Still, it does make working in & around the car a lot easier - you can crawl under and stand in the engine bay to do wiring, pipework etc
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

May saw me working on the fuel system - running the fuel feed from the fuel tank ‘sump’ (such as it is) and out to the fuel pump via a pre-filter, then forward to the Filter King main regulator and filter.

Here you can see a fuel shut-off valve on the outlet of the tank, since removed. The tank outlet is a plain 1/2" barb with an AN-8 compression fitting with the hose being PTFE lined, nylon braided fuel hose from Torques on eBay:

That runs under the diff and then makes a left turn on the chassis rail, through the sintered pre-filter and then slightly upward (less so now as the pump has moved down a bit) to the JESUS CHRIST WHAT IS THAT NOISE Carter fuel pump:

Dax supply a Carter P4070 rated at 50gph, but I went with the P4600HP rated for 100gph to give me plenty of headroom should the engine need more fuel and I should be able to use it as a lift-pump to supply a high pressure pump if/when I go for EFI. Either way, the way I routed the fuel system lends itself to being ‘split’ either before or after this pump and re-routed fairly easily, even once everything is in the way.

The fuel line then loops back and runs through a bulkhead fitting that is in the prop-catcher loop beside the main +ve lead, and forward to the Filter King filter on the engine bay bulkhead:

The return hose shown here is now removed, but can be reinstated easily enough if/when I go for an EFI system that requires one. The fuel tank already has provision for an 8mm return line next to the outlet, but was also modified recently - more about that later.

Next, I set about designing the internal boot hinges.. When I say designing, I blatantly stole the design from another forum member

First I bought a set of MGF boot hinges, as I know those have been used previously, but mounting them on the DeDion chassis is complicated by the shock towers protruding into the boot area and their resulting in-fill plates, so I went back to a more ‘original’ style arrangement of a steel hoop with pivots. Here, I’m mocking up the pivot section in cardboard, having worked out the angle off-vertical for the hinge section and, therefore, the relative difference in lengths for each hinge plate. Hurrah for trigonometry!

Then a brief pause in work for a trip to Le Mans 2017 with some friends - the BMW is mine, the Hummer is what they came in, the tank is not with us

That was a bloody good trip..
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    If I was buying it again, I wouldn't go for the "mobile" version - a) because that is taking serious liberties with the word "mobile" and b) because the fixed version lifts twice as high.. This goes just high enough to be useful, but not high enough to walk under without crawling on your hands and knees, which can get annoying! Plus, it's only really mobile on a billiard table flat garage floor as it weighs in excess of 500Kg.. eventually I'll move it to the other garage, and that will need the engine hoist to lift it off the ground and onto a trailer.

Still, it does make working in & around the car a lot easier - you can crawl under and stand in the engine bay to do wiring, pipework etc
    What make is the lift? Link for the fixed version?
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    What make is the lift? Link for the fixed version?
    This is the one I have: https://www.garageequipment.co.uk/Ve...etre-Lift-with
    The full height fixed version is this one: https://www.garageequipment.co.uk/Ve...ounted-Scissor

If I had more width in my garage, though .. I'd go for this: https://www.garageequipment.co.uk/Ve...o---27-Ton-1ph
    My DeDion build diary..

Also worth considering :

cjautosheywood.co.uk/vocor2post.shtml

That's the H version which lifts slightly more than the CL07 which I have. Wouldn't like to be without it.

Would love a two poster - or even a four poster with jacking beams, to be honest. If I ever have the cash, I'd like to raise the roof on the detached garage and put one down there for "proper" maintenance - mostly because my tin tops won't fit in the garage the Cobra is in; it's a very short garage! Actually, her MINI might fit..

Another day, another catch-up post:

What next? Well, I punched some big holes in the end of the footwell to try fitting a bottom-pivot pedal box from OBP Motorsport:

I ended up abandoning this idea, glassing the holes back up and reverting to the Dax pedal box - as I mentioned earlier, I just wasn’t able to get the pedals far enough down the footwell that I could comfortably use them; even though the pedal boxes are beautiful. Maybe I’ll come back to this idea one day .. again, the brake lines are designed to be ‘split’ and re-routed easily if I do.

Then there was a trip to Classics on the Common at Harpenden, where I saw a colour I’d love to paint the Cobra .. except unfortunately the owner of the truck didn’t know what colour it was:

I got back to fabbing the hinges for the boot lid again. I’m a self-taught welder, can you tell?

Remember - a grinder and paint, makes me the welder I ain’t!

In the end, I had something passable, though. Note that the hinges look on the piss ‘outward’, but once the steel strap is curved to match the inside of the rear deck, they will hang vertically again. Trigonometry success!

This looks simple here, but there was a lot of trial and error! The thing I realised was that the pivot point has to be a lot closer to the rear deck than you think in order that the boot lid will actually rise up and clear the opening without catching.. So there were at least two versions of this whole assembly..

Then we rescued a dog. He took up quite a bit of time and came with some behavioural problems being a 9 year old who’d had a hard life; but he settled, became best friends with one of our cats, never grew to like other dogs, loved cuddles, and I miss him terribly. He passed this year (March, 2019) somewhat unexpectedly from the big C.

Found his pictures scrolling through my Google Photos and had to include him..

Bernie (our tiny, 2.5Kg, female 6y/o cat) loved him, and he loved her.. Meg (our 5Kg, female 12y/o cat) did not love him!

August 20th, 2017..
    My DeDion build diary..

Have you considered mounting the brake bias pedalbox from the top.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 7.JPG (103.7 KB, 21 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (137.9 KB, 21 views)

Don't forget for IVA any bias pedal box adjustment has to be locked out.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

Quote Originally Posted by drammyboy View Post
    Have you considered mounting the brake bias pedalbox from the top.
    I had - but my footwell is much, much narrower than yours, and off-set to the outside of the car; there's the big angled 'dip' where the steering shaft comes down.. it's probably doable with some creatively bent pedals though, per the original Dax pedal box In the end I followed KevW's advice of "Just get it built and on the road, first" and stuck with the OE pedal box. That said, I did not stick with the Sierra servo - more on that, later

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Don't forget for IVA any bias pedal box adjustment has to be locked out.
    Yep, though I believe nylocs are probably sufficient under the current rules.. that's somewhat up to the tester's interpretation of the note in the manual though, so I'll probably lock-wire them once I've figured out where the bias needs to be set at a friendly MOT station:
    Note 5: Bias bars and other mechanical adjusting devices fitted to twinmaster cylinders must be rendered inoperable by mechanical meanse.g. lock wiring of components.
    My DeDion build diary..

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast