Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast
    The pics above are actually of the (start of!) the rear runner on the drivers side, which has by far the least room on mine (for some reason the passenger side has a good inch more room, even though the footwell "feels" the same size if you sit there). I did cut the drivers footwell back an additional 1/4" or so, and that's given me about a 1/2" clearance with a 1D (2" CLR) bend as the starter tube; which is unholy hard to form as noted.. they're 1.2mm wall bends and the material on the 'inside' of the bend (which is now what I need to massage out into the port!) has done so much shrinking that the wall thickness is more like 2.5mm - that's a lot of rock hard, work hardened, shrunk stainless steel to try and beat about!

The press form ends up about 3tonnes of force.. still way, way easier than trying to do it with the bench vice and a lump hammer, though (lump hammer still needed for final 'fitting')
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I was a little worried what I might be famous for, for a minute there phew!

Progress has .. slowed. Some reasons I won't get into here.

But Facebook just reminded me that 10 years ago I was planning to fit these seats:

Oops.
    My DeDion build diary..

Yes tastes do change. I guess the car was going to be yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Progress has .. slowed. Some reasons I won't get into here.

But Facebook just reminded me that 10 years ago I was planning to fit these seats:

Oops.
    Had you been out in the sun when you purchased those ?

I believe you now have Dax shells for trimming?
    I say....and I know you'll end to read this twice........ stick 'em in!
    Good for IVA, and will get you on the road. That's got to be the main objective. You can sort / refine the look later.
    I'm still doing this, but enjoying getting out and about.....which justifies the thousands spent on a pampered toy!

Thread diversion (sorry)...
    Dave: you'll be pleased to hear the hardtop is NOT now going into storage for the winter, and 'er indoors is out of hospital. I wasn't thinking straight, got a grip of myself, and realised £300 storage costs pays for a lot of paint and filler.
    So, couple of afternoons last w/e and its nearly straight (or rather evenly curved). Another £30 on UPol gear just arrived, and I am hoping to get onto the Dolphin glaze this w/e. I'll then ask the locla paint shop how much for a couple of coats of poly and blow over with 2-pack top coat and glaze.
    Last edited by KevinW; 15-09-21 at 03:00 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Quote Originally Posted by Bigblock View Post
    Had you been out in the sun when you purchased those ?
    not to my knowledge - they are actually (were, they're now sold) incredibly comfortable seats.. bit bright, though.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    I believe you now have Dax shells for trimming?
    I say....and I know you'll end to read this twice........ stick 'em in!
    Yup - they've been trimmed (Ashley) and in for a while actually. Well, in, out, in, out.. you know how it goes building a car! They're fine albeit a tad 'flexible' I'd say - I can upgrade later, though. Still just the headers to sort before the engine can be started and I'm slowly making progress, just not as fast as I was a month ago (going to/from my parents, ferrying to/from hospital etc takes up a lot of time). Motivating factor is that I really want my Dad to see it finished, or at least able to move under its own power bef.. anyway.

Glad to see you're still making progress on the hardtop! When does the car get painted??
    My DeDion build diary..

Sorry to hear about your Dad, hope you are coping OK.

Car paint is now a long way off as (of Monday) looks I am now going to need 2 dental implants to avoid Alf Garnet style false teeth.
    So that's the lockdown savings gone, and a bit more

So, plan is to see how we go on the hardtop - that's my test piece. Then it looks like I'll be prepping the body myself, and who knows after that, sometime in 2022.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Thanks Kevin.

Good luck with the implants! Needing dental work terrifies me .. I managed to conquer the needle phobia for most things, but the thought of an injection in my gums, argh! So I just ignored knocking the end off one tooth with the bridgeport knee handle
    My DeDion build diary..

Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast