Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 145462636465 LastLast
    Space will be tight with an FE install, but not sure what issues you are concerned about?
    My headers are coated, and I have no idea if they help or not, but that's the only protection for heat.
    I did cook the coil by having it too close to one of the headers, but no other issues.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.
    My Gallery: http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/3240/username/kevinw

Its coming on Aaron, little and often and you will soon have it done.
    I have never wrapped my headers on my BB, they are 2", all I did was to put some heat shields near or around any areas I thought it might be a problem.
    So far in the 15 years the BB has been up and running I haven't had any issues really.

Onwards and upwards.

Ciao

Doubt if is "cheap" but just a thought, https://www.thermomet.co.uk/

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

I have spent more time down in the garage but with precious little to show for it, it feels! I did get the last two pipes on the passenger side prototyped, and had a really nice fit for at least one of the pipes:

Then I got to tacking everything up and encountered some ... frustration. I'm improving - right now I'm basically spending time just practicing rather than trying to actually make anything, because that means less do-overs. That said, frustration is building and at this point I really wish I had five grand lying around to pay someone else to make them.

I think this was where I reached peak frustration:

I have at least improved, since.. but haven't completed any more pipes. I was tacking up no 4 on the passenger side last night and, after a bunch of it went well, made a proper hash of tacking up the end closest to the port - because I cut a tight 1D bend in the middle, and then squashed the other end to fit into the port, the end needing tacking bad sprung to very oval rather than round, and it doesn't really match up at all with the next piece of tube, so I think I may need to revisit that one. Trouble is, with everything going on at home (mostly my Dad) and work (which is doing its best to drive me insane) I'm not in the best head space for being buggered about by a car by the time the evening rolls around!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I wouldn't beat yourself up Aaron. Its a horror of a job and it looks like you are making at least some progress.

Mine took months. I had to walk away a number of times! Even now they are complete, I would think long and hard about doing it again!
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Are you sure, Lloyd, because I can quite happily trailer the car to Shropshire... (now the Range Rover is fixed, anyway!)

I think I'm going to start no 8 (passenger side rear) again - the more I can avoid chopping tight bends in half, the easier it will be to actually weld them together! Ah well, by the end of this I'll have a new skill ... and the knowledge never to attempt this again
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I salute you taking the header job on yourself - good luck with it!

Don't want to sound like I'm pissing on your welding torch, but if it does become too much, once they are tack-welded you could then hand them over to a pro to do the final weld up.
    Mine were delivered to me just tack welded for reasons I won't go into. I dry fitted everything, trimmed to correct length for sidepipes to fit on, and then got a local hot rod guy to sport out the final welding.
    All sorted with a week off work.

Anyway, regardless, good luck - well beyond my skill set.
    Last edited by KevinW; 04-01-22 at 01:06 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.
    My Gallery: http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/3240/username/kevinw

Don't give up, practice will get you there. I'm no tig expert but did tig my own headers without any real problems after plenty of practice getting the amps right. It does look like too many amps and I don't know but are you tacking with filler rod? If not you should be with thin pipe, that'll stop blowing holes.

Baz
    Last edited by AKBaz; 04-01-22 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Spelling

keV, I have seriously considered your approach! I'm sure Joe at BTB would do it and it would save a lot over a full price job..

Thanks for the encouragement though all, it is appreciated! Gave it another bash today and .. it went even worse!

That was when I'd realised I'd just switched to the gas cylinder that was delivered before Xmas, and they'd delivered Argon+CO2 mix and not pure Argon ffs.. bah!

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    keV, I have seriously considered your approach! I'm sure Joe at BTB would do it and it would save a lot over a full price job..

Thanks for the encouragement though all, it is appreciated! Gave it another bash today and .. it went even worse!

That was when I'd realised I'd just switched to the gas cylinder that was delivered before Xmas, and they'd delivered Argon+CO2 mix and not pure Argon ffs.. bah!
    BTB? Is that Irish Joe on the Findon Rd Industrial Estate?
    Dek

Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 145462636465 LastLast