Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Ok, where were we talking about Den Tanner's build tolerances?

You'd think that a roll hoop from Dax would match the chassis from Dax, right?

Wrong!

With all my strength yanking on the third leg (fnarr) I can just about, maybe, get the bolt started.. it's ~7mm off, half the bolt width!

C'mon people.. jigs? Quality control?
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

That is terrible.
    Fair enough on a budget car, but really, no excuse.

I think I can remember a similar thread on this many years ago, but had assumed the problem was fixed. Obviously not.

Can you grind off the base and re-weld it in the correct position?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Just a thought...

They're not left and right handed are they?

Sean
    Too many idiots, not enough villages!

Combining posts 71 & 73, yank harder and change hands if necessary ?
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    That is terrible.
    Fair enough on a budget car, but really, no excuse.

I think I can remember a similar thread on this many years ago, but had assumed the problem was fixed. Obviously not.

Can you grind off the base and re-weld it in the correct position?
    I suppose it's possible that the jig for my Simon-era chassis does not match the jigs for the John-era chassis, and the hoops (John-era) would match a new chassis... I haven't got the gear to neatly TIG the bases back on again sadly - but .. I do have a set of Europa chrome hoops and they fit slightly better (still not bob on, but close enough that a yank is feasible!) so I'll switch to those. Of course, they fit slightly differently so I need to re-do some of the work for the escutcheons..

Quote Originally Posted by GUMBALL View Post
    Just a thought...

They're not left and right handed are they?
    They are indeed - but they were on the right way around The drivers side fitted really nicely (nicer than the Europa parts, so I expected the passenger side to fit nicely to - I was mistaken!)

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter29 View Post
    Combining posts 71 & 73, yank harder and change hands if necessary ?
    Fnarr

The Europa chrome ones are on now - just need to fix the escutcheons on the drivers side, once we finish dog sitting again.. (unlike our old dog, who I could trust not to try eating everything in the garage, this little lady likes to chew anything that fits in her mouth! So garage time is off the menu tonight as I'm on my own..)
    My DeDion build diary..

So next job was to finish fitting the harnesses now that the roll hoops are in. I needed to drill "up" through the threaded bosses already welded to the chassis in order to break through the floorpan, and I didn't want to damage the threads so .. I turned up a little sleeve, 9.5mm OD, 6mm ID, and about 70mm long. Surface finish isn't great because I had the power feed set up for threading so had to hand feed the length several times - but it's functional:

I have remembered how much I love working on the lathe.. should have been a machinist!

Anyway, it was a nice slip fit through the threaded bosses:

So I could jack the car up and drill through the guides - this is one of the few times that the scissor lift was a hindrance as it really got in the way of the jack!

Opened up the holes to 11.5mm from the top and put the eye bolts in and voila! Belts:

No seats, though, so it's a bit uncomfortable Really must put those back in, but need to finish fitting the heater first - that's next up.
    My DeDion build diary..

I have one of the T7 Designs 3.5kW lightweight heaters (actually, two, but that's a long story) and I've been upside down in the footwell (as has my Fiancée!) trying to fit it for .. a few days. In the end, I realised I just couldn't persuade the water hoses to bend that way, plus the outlets for the demister vents were all on the wrong sides. Although it's highly configurable, there just weren't enough openings for what I needed so out came the step cutter and tin snips!

I had to make an extra cover plate to cover what would become the 'front' outlet (facing the end of the footwell and in the way of the water hoses):

Then punch out two new outlets and drill the mounting holes:

One small change after that is that the new cover plate had to be riveted on - the nuts foul the (computer case) fan inside. Now all I need to do is get back in the footwell, upside down, on my back, and get it all back in place for the nth time
    My DeDion build diary..

3d printed outlets looks nice, what filament is it?

Pass They came from T7 themselves - the larger outlets are all manufactured, but the small one (matches my vents) is 3D printed. They're quite soft, so I don't know how well they'll hold up - I assume they're PLA, not ABS.. Santa is bringing me a 3D Printer for Christmas, though, so I can always replace them ... once I work out how to make more than a stringy birds nest, of course
    My DeDion build diary..

something to read before Christmas https://www.simplify3d.com/support/m...perties-table/
    it could be ABS or Polypropylene

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast