Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Nice link! Thanks Andrzej
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I've been upside down in the footwell (as has my Fiancée!) trying to fit it for .. a few days. In the end, I realised I just couldn't persuade the water hoses to bend that way

My imagination just gave up! Can't wait to get to the heater stage on mine.

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

Hang on!

Fiancée, upside down in the footwell of a Cobra - she’s a keeper! Get her married man!

I would if I didn't keep spending all my money on the Cobra (well, that and the tax man who enjoys giving my arse a good rodding at every opportunity!)

The heater is now in - I've since replaced the jubbly clips with the correct size, and secured the air hoses to bonded-in cable tie bases so they can't flap about behind the dash:

One of the last remaining "big" fibreglass jobs was then to make the holes for the sidepipes (thanks to Dave for his advice via Facebook, ensuring I didn't make the big gaping holes in totally the wrong place):

It does seem like I need to put the collector in the freezer for a bit, or get the torch on the front end of the sidepipe, in order to be able to get it all the way in.. they are a bit 'snug'. Tail end is fine and is just a slip fit, but the front end is what you might call a 'press fit'. The holes will probably need enlarging a little (especially toward the bottom), but they're basically there now and with the pipe set beside the car on blocks it looks very nice indeed. Of course, since there's nothing at the front end to attach them to, they're back to sitting in the upstairs hallway..

Ho hum.

Might tackle the carpets next, because that seems like a 1000-piece all-white jigsaw, at least to figure out where it all goes. Then maybe drop the spare engine in, mated to the gearbox, so I can get everything else plumbed in ready for an engine that actually runs..
    My DeDion build diary..

Currently trying to work out what tyres to go for .. I have 15" knock-on wheels that are 8" wide on the front and 10" wide on the rear. Originally the plan seemed simple - Avon CR6ZZ tyres at enormous cost, but since I started looking at that other options have come around like the Pirelli Cinturato (also at enormous cost) or Galaxys from North Hants Tyres.

So, discounting the Pirellis for a minute:

Which would you go for? The Galaxys have a very small range available in V rated tyres, which means I'm stuck with only 60 profile tyres - that means the rear tyres are going to have a significantly larger diameter than the fronts, which the modern car person in me thinks would be a really bad idea (on a tin top that would seriously upset the ABS and/or traction control) - of course there's no electronics to upset, so does it really matter here?

Gut says 275/60 rears, 235/60 fronts.. sound reasonable?
    My DeDion build diary..

I would also consider how many miles per year you think you are going to actually get through, although the CR6ZZ’s are “soft” and the wear rate is high, if you only do 1K miles per year you will still be likely to change them out due to age rather than wear. But.....that’s a fair old difference to ponder, hmmm

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Currently trying to work out what tyres to go for .. I have 15" knock-on wheels that are 8" wide on the front and 10" wide on the rear. Originally the plan seemed simple - Avon CR6ZZ tyres at enormous cost, but since I started looking at that other options have come around like the Pirelli Cinturato (also at enormous cost) or Galaxys from North Hants Tyres.
    I've got the Galaxies, and very happy with them. Quite a few on this forum have them and AlexB has written a report of what he makes of them. They also have white lettering on one side which can polarise your view.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

You might consider 295/50/R15 on the rear. Very similar profile to the 235/60/R15s on the front - just +0.5” diameter and +0.2” sidewall. Also 20” rims is a bit too wide for 275/60s ( recommended 9.5” max).
    North hants tyres have 295/50 Galaxies for £145 +vat.
    Colin
    Dax Standard Chassis. Ford 302, AOD auto, DB s/s sidepipes, 2017 T reg.

Sorry should read 10” rims are too big. Obviously 20” rims would be way too wide and you’ld Probably have to get tires from the US ofA!

Got 235s on the front of mine, still on the donor wheels - steering can be a bit heavy, but you've got EPAS right?
    About to upgrade to knock-ons over the next month - going for 235 up front and 245 or 255 on the rear, all Galaxy - can't justify the avon's price hike for a race tyre that's only used occassionally.
    And there are no bad reviews on the Galaxys, and they are located close to work.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast