Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My clutch is heavy and was looking at remote servo's to lighten it for the Misses to drive as she said f## what is that the brake haha. Not changed it so I have to drive it all the time. The remote servo is large and I did not like the look of it and having to hide it away. I have my battery in the front left wing and brake servo on the other side.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RH5272

Mine is a dax std .75 master and a hawk cars 0.70 slave external on a 289 with the 351 bell 11”stock clutch. Not road tested fully but 1st gear reverse all good and light. Not intended for racing.

I have the very same slave cylinder fitted to my Dax (350 SBC with Tremac 'box) and it too decided to leak recently. Roadcraft supply the cylinder (very expensive!) and although you can't find it on their website they now sell a service kit for it. I bought this (£50) and overhauled mine no probs. It's a relatively easy job. When I stripped it I found that the internal spring had broken up into several pieces and one piece had damaged the main seal - wouldn't have been long before all the fluid shot out at once leaving no clutch operation. Now works fine and similar to Tinka in that mine is a heavy pedal but I'm used to it, so all's good
    GrahamH - Dax 350SBC, UK Cobra Club Magazine editor (from Sept17)

Join the club Graham - the spring breaking up is a common problem with these slave cylinders. If you're lucky, as you were, the broken spring just damages the seal. If you're unucky, as I was when it happened for the second time, it scores the cylinder bore .....

The spring is there to take up the free play on the pushrod when the clutch is disengaged to avoid the need to pump the pedal (it having a very long stroke). The spring is long and spends most of its time compressed - so over time it gets shorter, no doubt aided by heat blowing back from the exhaust headers. Eventually the spring becomes shorter than the stroke of the cylinder, at which point it drops off the back of the piston. Because the spring is conical (in order to minimise its compressed length) once it's fallen off the piston comes back and there's no way for the spring to re-engage as it's no longer in line with the piston - so it lies in the cylinder getting pounded by the piston every time you activate the clutch.

Fortunately there is a way to fix this, which I did suggest to Brian at Repower at the time. All you need to do is to carefully apply a Dremel to the rear end of the piston to cut a groove for the smaller end of the spring to engage in - as it's a spring there needs to be an angled lead-in slot so that the spring sits snugly. Once that's done, the spring can't fall off. Since I did that around 4 or 5 years ago I've never had a repeat of the problem.

So although you've already replaced the seal, you might want to take it apart again and do this mod to avoid the expense of a scored cylinder (yep, they're monumentally expensive!) if/when it falls off again .....
    Last edited by conrod; 23-10-19 at 07:34 PM.
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

I'm going to the Classic Car show at the NEC in a couple of weeks time. Going to take my slave cylinder and see if I can find an alternative at one of the stalls there. I want to try to relieve the load on the fibreglass bulkhead the pedal box is mounted to every time I engage the clutch.
    I will however take it apart first and check the bore is OK just in case I end up rebuilding it. I sort of object to paying silly money for such a simple device when others similar start at just a couple of tenners!
    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting.

Thanks Alan, that's excellent advice and a good reliability improvement. I'll look to do this to mine.

Graham
    GrahamH - Dax 350SBC, UK Cobra Club Magazine editor (from Sept17)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12