Mike Hubbard Sump

Hi Guy’s

just in case anyone may know, about 3 years ago I fitted a Mike Hubbard Winged Sump to the V8 Chevy because the existing one was too tall giving limited ground clearance. I am now getting ready to change the oil and going to use Valveoline V1 20 : 50 ( are there any comments ) and I am trying to remember the capacity of the sump ? 6.8L seems to ring a bell, is Mike still contactable ?

if anyone has any any feedback it will be great fully received.

Best Regards

Rich

Rich ,
    It's certainly going to take more than one 5 litre jar to do the oil change , so buy two and just keep adding oil until it reads correctly on the dipstick .
    Jim

Presumably you’ve got a dipstick marked already? If so then as Jim says, buy 2 and keep going (rough guess from how much you drop out the bottom).

PS - try Mike Huddart

Cheers

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Mike Huddart's recommended high capacity oil pan was this one from Champ Pans - in which case the capacity is 8 US quarts.

Regarding oil, the view Mike expressed to me was that 20w50 was too thick, and his recommmendation after initial running in was to go for a semi synthetic 10w40 or 15w40. See my reply here to a recent "which oil" thread.

And to complete Mike's oil-related recommendations, if you have an oil cooler fitted, either remove it or fit a thermostat, as they're for racetrack use only.
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

Hi All,

Thank you for all of your reply’s.

The issue that I have is that a new Dip Stick came with the new sump and was not marked with high or low fill marks.
    i fitted the Sump and Dip Stick and filled the engine with the amount of oil Mike had recommended. The mistake that have
    made is not then putting a mark on the Dip Stick straightaway. I know the level has dropped because once on a hard stop recently I saw the oil light flash on instantaneously for a split second. So the level has crept down because it has never done that before, I just wish that I had marked the Dip Stick when I initially filled it up

Regards

Rich

If you've still got your original dipstick (hopefully an OE Chevy one) then the Hi/Low position on the new stick will be in exactly the same place measured from the the stick seating position at the top of both sticks. Just transfer them across. Oil level has absolutely nothing to do with sump volume but is a reference distance from the crank centreline (which you haven't changed by fitting a new sump).

Good advice Russell, but it might not be applicable in this case. If the oil pan concerned is indeed a Champ pan, then often the original SBC dipstick is removed and the hole plugged, and a dipstick kit fitted to the top of the oil pan - i.e. the dipstick goes directly into the "kick-out" part of the pan - usually on the left hand side. Again, if it's a Champ pan, here's the advice I was given by them when calibrating my dipstick:

Alan,

You want your max oil height to be flush with the nut that is welded to the top of the oil pan. Any other questions don’t be afraid to ask.

Thank you,

Jake Redetzke
    Sales Representative
    Champ Pans by JR MFG
    Phone: (715) 834-7748
    Fax: (715) 835-7254
    www.champpans.com
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

Hi Guy's thank you for all of your valuable feedback !!

If I get some photo's of the Sump on the Cobra will that enable us to be able to confirm if is one of these Champ Pans ? I know that it has internal flaps which swing open and closed to limit oil surge etc.

Best Regards

Rich

I think the Sump is a Champ Pan after looking them up, it is a 7 quart CP57Ltr 7 inch Oil Pan.

Have a good rest of the week.

Regards

Rich