Centre console access

Would anyone have any photos of their AK with flat bottomed dash fitted please?

I’m hoping to fit a push button switch to activate an electronic handbrake on the top of tunnel, so just need to know how much of it is visible/accessible.

I’d like to fit it as far forward and on the drivers side as possible.
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

And given it’s stripped out for re-painting, here is one with dash removed.

Hope this helps. Bence

10DFF041-80AF-4728-8CF3-4334A5355748.jpeg10DFF041-80AF-4728-8CF3-4334A5355748.jpeg

Thanks Bence, but it’s the original style dash I need photos of.

I’m thinking the button can go right up under the dash.

Hi Craig

Is this what you're looking for? I've fitted an electronic handbrake switch/button to the right of the gear stick (you can see it in the picture). I'm going to fit a flip cover for aesthetics (it can't be inadvertently activated whilst the car is in motion anyway).

Attached Images Attached Images

That's it, tjhanks. I've fitted my button as far forward and to the right as possible, trying to get it right up under the dash.

How did you make it in-operable when in motion?
    Regards

Craig Perry

I bought the electronic calliper kit from HiSpec. To activate the handbrake, the button needs to be depressed for more than 3 seconds. The developer of the system, Simtek, have stated that this is sufficient to pass IVA.

That said, the unit can also be re-programmed to take a feed from the speedo to ensure it can't be inadvertently engaged (I intend doing this shortly). And, as a belt and braces approach, as I mentioned, I'm going to source and fit a flip cover for the button (just need to find one that looks right for the interior ).

Quote Originally Posted by Inzapp View Post
    I bought the electronic calliper kit from HiSpec. To activate the handbrake, the button needs to be depressed for more than 3 seconds. The developer of the system, Simtek, have stated that this is sufficient to pass IVA.

That said, the unit can also be re-programmed to take a feed from the speedo to ensure it can't be inadvertently engaged (I intend doing this shortly). And, as a belt and braces approach, as I mentioned, I'm going to source and fit a flip cover for the button (just need to find one that looks right for the interior ).
    Also for IVA, with the ignition off you should be able to engage, but not disengage it.
    Regards

Craig Perry

I'm not sure this is the case with the HiSpec solution, but when I checked it with them before buying the kit, they checked with the developer and were reassured that the solution is IVA compliant. I spoke with Simtek, the developer, and the guy reassured me that the solution was compliant. As a final reassurance, I checked the IVA manual - it reads that the switch must be protected, or, as an alternative, must only be able to apply but not release the brake with the ignition off.

• Section 09C from the IVA manual states :-
    § 14. An electrically operated parking brake switch must be protected from inadvertent use. As an alternative, with the ignition off, the switch must be capable of applying the brake, but must not be capable of releasing the brake.

So, I was reassured that the fact that the button has to be depressed for > 3 seconds, plus the protective cover, I'm hoping meets the criteria. I'm also using an auto box which will lock the driveshaft when Park is selected.

I'll probably check with my local IVA centre before I book it in. If it's an issue, I'll be looking for a refund.