Thermostat check

Decided to check my thermostat today....I might be a bit fussy but I think it might want changing !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Just a bit of corrosion. Bit of silicon RTV will sort it for temporary fix ! It always amazes me how much iron comes off iron heads even having antifreeze and flushing the system each year.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    It always amazes me how much iron comes off iron heads even having antifreeze and flushing the system each year.
    I read once that it's best not to change the antifreeze often. Apparently the chemicals additives in the anti-freeze eventually neutralize things and corrosion is held at bay. Draining and putting in new antifreeze starts corroding things all over again until neutralization is reached.

I'm sorry I can't remember where I read that, so no confirmation is available.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

That's interesting to know. I have read a similar write up and dont use distilled water as it creates more corrosion.

New thermostat and even a shiny new thermostat housing fitted and tested this morning. Temperature control is much better and no boiling up when stationary which is a really big relief.
    Another item ticked off the shake down list!
    Going to put a flush through it next to finish that job.
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

After my last flush out and change of antifreeze. My trip too France in September the car was running cool in U.K. until we got to 32c and temperature was spot on . I am going from copper rad to aluminium as a winter project as I have minor leak which is annoying me. I have the new rad but it needs some reworking for brackets plus a aluminium cowling in design stage. I sourced the rad after lots of looking. The outlets on the correct sides for a Ford was the problem as most rads are for Chevy layout.
    Last edited by jon1d; 09-11-19 at 01:34 PM.