Spax damping adjustment on SRV8

Been getting more miles on my car today and all going well having fitted my different oil take off adapter and keeping the oil in the engine rather than down the road! I have two questions for any SRV8 owners :

1. I know every car is different but does anyone have any guideline base damping settings for Spax shocks on an SRV8

2. Most of my damping screws are moving and clicking like I would expect but they are not reaching a stop point to count the clicks out from. They are adjusting because having wound them in my car isnt driving like a Cadilac any more. Anyone know of this problem other than telling me Spax are rubbish and I should bin them?
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Not a SRV8 owner, but I have Spax shocks on my car. The first 4 clicks are not discernible, so you may not have actually reached bottom fully, but stopped as you weren't hearing clicks.

It was recommended for me to set mine 5 clicks out from zero, although I firmed it up a bit later on by going to 7 on the rear shocks. Maybe a bit too firm. I intend to try 6. Again, for 6 clicks, you can't hear/feel the first four, so just remember that each click represents 1/4 of a turn.

Maximum clicks on mine can go up to 15, probably for a much heavier vehicle.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Hi John,
    Thanks very muich for responding. I am used to setting up motorcycle suspension and in that case you always wind in to full in where the screw comes to a firm stop and then wind out and count the clicks (yes mine are 1/4 turn clicks). It sounds like you are starting wound out and winding in ?
    Mine were wound all the way out when I started and it did take a few turns for it to start to click.
    Paul

Well.... no. I had forgotten it works backwards. So I looked it up. You are correct it works from "out" to "in". Here's a picture detailing two blurbs form my older and newer build manuals:

John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

You can apply the mid ordinate rule on these type of settings.
    First establish the range of adjustment then set midway.
    Test and make a decision on which way to go.
    Half the remaining amount of adjustment and set there.
    Test again.
    Half the remaining amount of adjustment and so on.

Or just go by gut and give it one or two a time and test.

A
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

Brilliant info guys ! Really appreciated. The problem I had is I was expecting a hard stop on the screw when it was wound in but that doesnt seem to be the case.
    The important info is there are 15 clicks of adjustment and you start all the way out on dead soft and start counting once it starts clicking.
    At the moment I am clearly on full hard which is much better than full soft but I probably need to back off to mid range again.
    Cheers !
    Paul

Hi Paul
    Just a thought for you. Most people have told me they put 20psi in their tyres (roughly) I wonder if a combination of shock setting and different tyre inflation might help get a nicer ride. I'm sure there are owners who have got it sorted and might give a lead.

it's very possible that the shocks you have Paul are actually the wrong size spring - as yours is a early SR, i've read on here that they supplied 9" springs which where the wrong length and should be 8" or so - possibly worth a search on these forums to confirm though.

try this search:

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/searc...archid=5169966

or type +srv8 +springs into search field top right corner

rgds
    Gary
    Last edited by nealgs; 07-11-19 at 02:08 PM.
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Thanks for the addional thoughts and yes I have seen the info on shorter rear springs which I tend to agree with as SR's do like to be high at the back.
    As it stands I tested 7 clicks in all round and the car sits on the road just fine for initial set up. I had already dropped the tyre pressures which made an unbelieveable difference.
    As it stands the car feels completly different to my first outing a month or so ago where I was struggling to keep it on the same side of the road. It makes you realise how much the combination of alignment, camber, damping and tyre pressures transforms a car.
    Im sure I still have lots of playing to do but happy with progress so far in that it isnt trying to kill me.
    Paul