Thread: Wiper motor

Wiper motor

I am looking to purchase a suitable wiper motor kit for my Pilgrim Sumo mk3 build. I have seen a kit in car builder solutions that looks ideal but I am unsure of which sweep angle to choose. I am intending to get the brass craft windscreen assembly, if this makes any difference.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/windscreen-wiper-kit

I would greatly appreciate any guidance that can be offered.
    Granada based Pilgrim Sumo with RV8 - May 2017
    YouTube Build diary:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJnGMrv_CkERYzoG68enTGg

You want the 140 degree one for IVA.
    Colin
    Dax Standard Chassis. Ford 302, AOD auto, DB s/s sidepipes, 2017 T reg.

James,

Good to see you are still making progress.

I fitted a wiper motor, wheel boxes & bundy drive from SVC (other retail sources are available). The gearing in the wiper motor I fitted was 130°, they work fine and passed the IVA.

One area that caused me no end of problems were the wheel boxes, in particular the tubing through which the wiper drive shaft protrudes. On my Sumo body (Mk.3 circa 2009) the holes for the wiper spindles are in a blister behind a curved recess (as always the picture may explain it better than words). This results in the spindle being a right angles to the body where the containing tubes fit. Most kits, including SVC's & CBS's have tubes that are cut at an angle as the wiper spindles come though the flat body. Check your body first to ensure that there are no blisters before buying a kit with tubes that are cut at an angle.

The other advice I would give is to buy a new motor (and fittings) - I saved "loads of money" buy buying three really cheap motors from eBay (not at the same time but serially over several weeks), none of which were complete or worked before giving up and buying a new unit.

Regards,
    Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

I think you may be correct Ian, 130 degrees is ok so long as the swept areas overlap and, together, cover enough of the screen.