Parallel Bellhousing

Just a quick one. I am mounting my bellhousing onto my 1973 machined cbs 350 block.

I am obviously checking parallel before run out.

My bellhousing is off by 2mm at 6o'clock. It needs kicking out.

What shims have you guys used? I have googled and looked at some UK and USA sites but cant seem to find a product.

Am i to literally buy some steel sheets of shim stock and cut on site and wedge in between the bellhousing and block?

Once this is sorted i can then do run out and the offset dowels........

Thanks Jules
    AK Cobra started 06/19
    Chevy 383 Stroker, TKO 600

2mm is quite a lot. That might require shimming up to 0.040" and that's if your 2mm is at the outer edge of the B-H. Ford says if it needs a shim over 0.010" discard the bell-housing. Couldn't find a spec for Chev. A quick Search didn't show up any Bell-Housing shims, but they can be made fairly easily from shim stock. Should be able to get that at a Machine Shop. Alternatively, you might look at the variety of shims for Chevy starter motor installations. They might work, but would probably have to be cut-off to shorten them.

Now if it were me, I'd have the B-H trued parallel at a Machine Shop, presumably using a Flywheel Grinding Machine. The trick here of course is to know which side of the B-H is out. I picture it this way: If you were to use shims, it would tilt the B-H into being parallel with the flywheel. This will change the bore run-out as well. Back to the machining, knowing which side to fix might help with any bore run-out issues. The wrong side will make it worse.

I'm still amazed you're out by 2 mm. Are you certain all the longitudinal play was taken out of the crank and kept out, while you were checking/rotatiing it? Also, paint blobs on the engine facing side of the B-H can cause trouble. The B-H must be torqued down tightly too.

If you know all this, please don't take offense. I'm just trying to help a bit, but must admit I've never dealt with the out-of-parallel problem you have, just bore run-out.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Here's a couple of sources:

https://www.grainger.com/category/ra.../slotted-shims

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/de...32233?fromRR=Y

The second link has other sets that might fit better, but they are all expensive. The first link might be easier on the pocketbook.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”