Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

9 days from IVA....had to postpone....engine trouble

As per the title, the IVA was booked for Thursday 21st, but have had to postpone it.

The car is with AK, where it has been finished off and they are taking it to IVA for me.

Got a call today to say the engine is making a worrying "knocking" sound and plenty of blue smoke from the side pipes.

Engine is a SBC 350 that was rebuilt about 6 years ago and has been run a couple of times since then, but only for short bursts whilst waiting to drop it in to the car.

I think this post is just grasping at straws whilst we are waiting to get the car back so we can try and start to figure out what the issue is, but if anyone has any pointers for places to start that would be a great help.

I'll try and post the video I was sent.

Kit has arrived.....follow my progress here at my blog:
    http://marksak427.blogspot.co.uk

AK 427 Gen II
    Chevy SB 350
    Tremec TKO 600

Well.....that's the plan at the moment!

Welcome to the money pit......

AK 427 Gen II
    Chevy SB 350
    Tremec TKO 600

When you say rebuilt, who rebuilt it and what was done?
    Thanks Lee
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    When you say rebuilt, who rebuilt it and what was done?
    Thanks Lee
    Hi Lee,

It was an "amateur" rebuild in that it was a private person that rebuilt it, not a company. They were planning on installing it in a Corvette Stingray (replacing the 350 that was in there so that could come out and also be rebuilt), but had a change of plan so then it was surplus to requirements.

I don't have all the details to hand, but from memory the block was honed, new pistons etc. New cams. New intake and ancillaries.

All parts came from Road Craft I think.

As per my first post, we had it running a little bit and nothing sounded out of the ordinary, but clearly from the video above it doesn't sound quite right.

Did you carry out a cam break in procedure ?
    rev for 20 mins at 2k rpm

Hi Mark,

First quick simple check is are you getting a spark to every plug?

My concern for you with it being a amateur build, has the cam been broken in properly?

I don't want to depress you and write it off but try some quick simple checks 1st.

Is it a holley carb?

I know Peterj1974 had a similar problem with a bent pushrod so it's difficult to diagnose just from the video, I'm gutted for you.

Keep the post live as a few of us have been here, some chevy owners may have experienced this and can give you the potential answer.

Lee
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Thanks guys.

I don not believe the cam has been broken in.

The engine has never really been in a position to run it for 20 minutes until now.

Is it as simple as running at 2k rpm for 20 minutes, or now that it has started knocking is it too late?

Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    Hi Mark,

First quick simple check is are you getting a spark to every plug?

My concern for you with it being a amateur build, has the cam been broken in properly?

I don't want to depress you and write it off but try some quick simple checks 1st.

Is it a holley carb?

I know Peterj1974 had a similar problem with a bent pushrod so it's difficult to diagnose just from the video, I'm gutted for you.

Keep the post live as a few of us have been here, some chevy owners may have experienced this and can give you the potential answer.

Lee
    Thanks Lee,

It was getting a spark to every plug, but we can check that when we have it back.

It was running hot on 1 cylinder (exhaust header was glowing, but only 1) so we adjusted the valve lash which seemed to help.

It's running an Edelbrock carb.

Appreciate it's not really possible to tell what it is from the video....just trying to get some ideas for when we have it back. It's going to be a race against time as apparently you can't postpone an IVA indefinitely once it has been booked, and you can only rearrange twice before have to start the whole application procedure again!

Did it have a new crankshaft? Stroked engine?

Clearances might be tight on the crank against the bottom of the piston bores and with heat expansion as the engine gets up to temp it may be catching. Sump off for a look would be a good check.
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    Did it have a new crankshaft? Stroked engine?

Clearances might be tight on the crank against the bottom of the piston bores and with heat expansion as the engine gets up to temp it may be catching. Sump off for a look would be a good check.

Thanks Kuga,

Not sure about the new crankshaft off the top of my head (without seeing the book of receipts I have for it!), but thanks for the suggestion and is something we will check!

AK 427 Gen II
    Chevy SB 350
    Tremec TKO 600

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast