Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The first sign of a cam that's losing it's lobes will be loose tappet adjustment.
    Check and reset the the valve lash from scratch and compare the amount of thread showing / used on the adjuster nuts.
    If they're all similar that's good if you one or more that very different then you might want to pull the cam just to check.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

You're trying to mate the lifters and the cam lobes, in practice wear away any tiny surface irregularities that stop a film of oil separating the two components. The 2000rpm+ is mostly to ensure they get sufficient oil during this process.
    It sounds like you have already run it for a good couple of hours in total so that break in process has now happened for good or bad. As mentioned above again, unless you are running a fairly aggressive cam, or particularly strong valve spring rates, chances are you should be ok so leaving it at that is a reasonable option. As Dek says, i doubt you would find visible metal but there no harm checking.

If you want to go further another thing you can check is that the lifters are turning correctly when the motors running. The cam lobes are ground slightly off centre to the lifter bore to force this to happen., helps spread the oil all over the parts. If you can cope with the mess, next time you start it, run it without a cam cover and watch the pushrods. Ideally they should be turning a bit as the lifters turn. Not necessarily all at the same rate, one or two may not turn much but if none are turning with the motor running at 2000+ then that can be an indication potentially of an issue.

After that, turn the motor off and leave it alone as much as you can otherwise you risk it becoming a smokey old thing.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    You're tThe 2000rpm+ is mostly to ensure they get sufficient oil during this process.
    and because the contact stress between the cam and lifter is much higher at idle speeds than at higher rpm. Spinning a new engine over on the starter is pretty much the worst you can do.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Would a filter magnet be a good idea here? Won’t repair any damage if some has been done, but it might lessen the chances of particles doing anything further. Just a thought, perhaps you already have magnets placed in the valley etc. for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    The first sign of a cam that's losing it's lobes will be loose tappet adjustment.
    Check and reset the the valve lash from scratch and compare the amount of thread showing / used on the adjuster nuts.
    If they're all similar that's good if you one or more that very different then you might want to pull the cam just to check.
    I’m pretty sure I’ve got hydraulic lifters.
    Therefore I guess I’m checking that there is preload where I would normally be checking the valve lash..

For hydraulic lifters, twist the pushrod whilst tightening the rocker until you remove any slack from the system then tighten a further 1/2 turn.

I will try and find the break in oil I used I believe it was red in colour, on my 350 Chevy I done the procedure twice from memory it was half a bottle of additive to an oil fill then carried out break in changed oil & filter and done it all again.
    Mark.
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

I used redline engine oil break in additive it can be bought from various places approximately £20.
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

Cheers Chaps,

I’m going to check the pre load on the lifters, I’m hoping I don’t have to adjust them too much which will be a good sign.
    Then change the oil and filter add some run in additive and do the break in procedure.
    Then check the pre load again and fingers crossed all will be ok…

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12