Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rain :(

I'm not that easily swayed! I really think she would like a new BMW M340i

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    Well Charlie, have you??? ������������
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    But then the grass dies.. or, on the driveway, they start turning into soil - plus they tend to collect up against the house, which just promotes damp (already a problem in a 1930s house).

Heck, I even swept the (long) pavement down the side of the house - the public pavement, that is - the other day, because the council can't be arsed to do that anymore (despite council tax being almost £3k for most of the houses here) - it was inches deep in leaf mould, and slippery as all hell. Granted, I swept those into the road (where they remain, blocking the drains, because the council don't sweep the gutters anymore either)..
    Welcome to bankrupt Northampton! I’ve got the same problems Aaron. The town is full of unswept leaves causing slippery paths, fractured hips, a local hospital that has suspended routine ops for 4 months to cope with that winter demand, road closures due to flooding probably due to blocked drains and gridlocked roads due to housing over development. And a Council that are not capable of joining these dots. How did we get on to this? Time for a chill pill I think!
    Dek
    Last edited by Dek; 21-11-19 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    Welcome to bankrupt Northampton! I’ve got the same problems Aaron. The town is full of unswept leaves causing slippery paths, fractured hips, a local hospital that has suspended routine ops for 4 months to cope with that winter demand, road closures due to flooding probably due to blocked drains and gridlocked roads due to housing over development. And a Council that are not capable of joining these dots. How did we get on to this? Time for a chill pill I think!
    Dek
    As they did exactly as they were asked, I feel slightly sorry for them.
    https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk...l-crash-676019
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Go live in america?
    Warmer? They like cobras too!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    They were not asked to spend £millions of our money on a new headquarters in the middle of the town centre with no parking which they subsequently had to sell and lease back. Just one example of a catalogue of bad financial decisions. I don’t feel sorry for them as I’m having to pay for it with a big increase in my Council tax!
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    "KPMG, which audited the 2017/18 accounts – which are almost ready for official sign off – had been pondering whether a public interest report could be afforded by the council, in light of its current financial frailty, but has decided the report must go ahead."

It sounds more like KPMG (bottom feeders of the business world) cost the council £100k they could ill afford, there.. because they'd rather KPMG had the £100k than the council.

Fortunately, a lot of the people down our road sweep the paths, road, trim the trees (otherwise they grow at the base and block the road) etc themselves - at least the ones who've lived here a while (40 years, in one case).. the people who've moved in recently and, notably, the care home (which used to be a private house) do SFA of course. Ah well, what's £3k between friends, eh? Pennies, pennies I tell you.

Oh - speaking of the council "doing what was asked" - the last survey they sent out asked:
    a) Would we like our roads maintained less, no/yes?
    b) Would we like our parks maintained less, no/yes?
    c) Would we like our pavements maintained less, no/yes?
    d) Would we like increased "help" for the less well off, yes/no?

There were more questions about d than anything else..

Quote Originally Posted by Cobragreyhead View Post
    Go live in america?
    Warmer? They like cobras too!
    My boss is always telling me I live the wrong side of the atlantic (with his fleet of F150 Raptor, Mustang GT, 1970s Bronco, 1970s Camaro w/ 428 and 4-on-the-floor .. and the 500hp "mummy bus" for his wife).. trouble is, I'd have to move to Seattle - where they hate the automobile and love weed. He lives in Texas, where gasoline and guns are king.. I'd rather move there, but I'd spontaneously combust in summer
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

sorry, what I meant was they followed the privatise/PFI service model that successive governments have encouraged - that's what I meant.
    But it seems they didn't have the nouse to set up good VFM contracts that didnt rip off the tax payer in the longer term...and it seems some bungs, and bad business decisions followed.

You have my sympathies, as, regardless, it is a total mess.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Don't worry, Corbyn will sort it all out for us!!
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    Hi glip (name?)

This is something we are looking at doing next year with the local Westfield club - do you have any hints and tips you could divulge please?

We'd all be coming up from around Leeds, West Yorks way

cheers
    Gary
    Hi Gary apologies for the late reply - it used to be the case that if you posted in a thread, you automatically got email updates to it - that doesn't seem to happen any more.

Short answer - accept the fact you will get wet, book it and go !

Longer, more serious answer...

We're from the North East. We took one week to drive up to Durness, spent a week in a holiday cottage there and took a week to drive back home via Lewis & Harris and Skye.

Longest drives were to get to/from Scotland.
    We were lucky with the first day - home to Loch Lomond on August Bank holiday weekend (T-shirts and shorts), but we ended up driving home a day early to avoid a final rainy day drive.
    Once in Scotland, our drives from one location to the next were short enough that we could plan around any bad weather either by setting off later or by taking a different route (we already had good and bad weather routes planned before we went).

We took an outdoor car cover with us and covered the car overnight as just the roof or tonneau wouldn't be watertight (I also felt that the car was more secure like this when parked up overnight).

Depends on how long you're planning on going for, but suggest stopping more than one night in some of your chosen locations - otherwise the daily packing/unpacking gets a bit tedious!
    Also, you'll need to plan and book well in advance as all the best places go quickly (a group of bikers we met at one location said they'd be booking up next years trip when they got home).

A lot of the roads at the very top of Scotland are single track with passing places. Most oncoming motorists tended to pull into passing places well in advance of us and would give us the thumbs up or open their window as we passed - though not all (tended to be Audi & Merc drivers that didn't!). I would imagine at the height of summer it could be slow and tedious progress - specially with the amount of camper vans.

Some of the roads aren't cobra friendly! - we had to turn round on a couple of occasions when the planned scenic routes got too bad (due to subsidence & pot holes mainly). Skye seemed to have the worst roads once you came off the main routes. If you don't have a sump guard fitted yet, I'd recommend fitting one before you go (AKCharlie is/was your man). I also drilled a couple of holes in the foot wells for drainage!
    We actually left the Cobra covered up for a couple of days whilst in Durness and just went for walks - partly the weather & partly because getting anywhere just took so long (also there's not actually that many roads that far north).

I have a set of wheel arch spats in the garage that I've never fitted - I need to fit them now to cover the stone chip damage that Scotland has inflicted on the rear arches

It felt hard going on a couple of occasions at the time, but looking back on it now we can see the funny side to sitting under a tree with no roof and the brolly up waiting for the rain to pass (we have one of these which covers the cockpit perfectly - https://www.umbrellaheaven.com/produ...brellas-for-2/)

For info we covered almost 2000 miles in the 3 weeks.

Cheers
    Geoff

Finally a run out today in the dry, down to the Goodwood meet.
    Great to see a few old faces again.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast