Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie questions

Afternoon all,

Apologies for the so many newbie questions, but I'm new to cobra ownership. Hopefully they're all easy ones to answer though. So here goes:

1. Winter storage 1 - use a trickle charger or disconnect battery? If trickle charger, then any recommendations?
    2. Winter storage 2 - put tonneau cover on, leave folded in boot or find space in house to lay flat (garage is dry and doesn't get too cold)?
    3. General storage - there seem to be many indoor covers around and some previous discussion on the forum. Something fairly padded that will properly fit the size of the car appeals. Any thoughts?
    4. Access underneath - how do people do this? Jacks, ramps etc?
    5. LED headlights - I have P700s which give out little light so was thinking of upgrading to LEDs. I saw these https://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=568, but they seem pricey at over £100. While I don't aim to do any night driving, I'd rather have decent lights in case I have to. Any thoughts?
    6. Oil - I've been told that 20W50 is the one to buy for my Chevy small block. Do different brands/types make a difference?

Many thanks in advance to anybody who can help.

Have a great week,
    Russell
    2011 Dax + Repower tuned Chevy 350ci

Hi Russell,

1. CTek charger of choice for this
    2. Mines usually under an indoor cover - but car gets used during the winter when not wet or icy/gritter been out.
    3. Hamilton classics for indoor/outdoor covers - had mine for about 7-8 years, car was kept in barn form nearly 3yrs using indoor cover - no damage etc other than mice making nest in carpet - lol
    4. Jacks and axle stands - there is a current post on about lifts though
    5. no idea
    6. 20w50 VR1, or millers or Lucas oil - classic mineral, albeit some peeps use semi synthetic - try a forum search for oil and there are plenty of thoughts on this. I'm using 10w40 following engine rebuild last year (engine re-builder recommended)

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Never used a battery charger or disconnected the battery . Never covered either. Trolley jack and axle stands.
    Andy

Dax De Dion 350 sbc

2. In the boot, mines lived there for about 17 years and hasn’t suffered (gets used when it’s out and about though).

5. Worth checking the MOT regs about LEDs (I know HID’s are now verbotten, not sure about LED’s though. Also £100, sod that! Bit of a punt on some £15 Flea bay ones maybe?

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

For a quarter the price of those bulbs (which probably won't work well) you can get purpose made LED 7" units like these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Hi-Lo-...r/333393959189

You might need open-back buckets to fit them (available from the usual suspects) and I haven't tried those personally.. although at that price I might pick up a set just to see what they look like and to see if they suffer the same problem as the first set I bought (for something like £300 from SVC IIRC!) which stuck out like bug eyes.. so don't buy ones that look like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7inch-LED...k/172443543541
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

- they look a bit modern for me.
    is there no LED or hi vis version of the P700s available?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

AKs Apple demonstrator uses something similar. Not my cup of tea if trying to replicate the original marque but a more modern up to date version of the marque, they work well.

If the classic look is preferred then these might be an option https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...d-bulbs/12v-h4
    I changed my H4's for these last year. The LEDs are as good as my Audi. You do need to find a home for a small transformer behind each headlight but that can be done fairly easily. Not cheap but good quality.

Many thanks to you all. The advice is very much appreciated - I'll see if I can swing any of them as Christmas presents
    Have a good week and stay dry
    Russell
    2011 Dax + Repower tuned Chevy 350ci

I believe this months' Complete Kit Car has an article on the legalities (or otherwise) of retro-fitting LED bulbs and so on..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast