New engine: first engine oil change?

Done a couple of hundred miles, and although oil round the dipstick is still dark brown, it looked rather black when i removed a remote oil filter hose to try and fix a leak and caught some of it in a pot.
    Suggestions of when first oil change is needed? Having done all the usual things on a cobra, have never actually had a newly rebuilt engine before!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Usually 50 miles or after bedding in (i.e. after it's been on the engine dyno), then 500 miles, then normal changes I think.. there's an argument that any 'wearing in' will have happened on the dyno though, so you're down to usual change intervals after that.

Either way .. oil is cheap insurance! I do the tin tops every six months, regardless of mileage. 200 miles in how many months?
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I would have thought oil changes every six months are ok if, on my Merc van which has oil service intervals of 37,000 miles but not if you're doing 200 miles in six months. My cob will get an oil change every 3,000 miles. My Merc car has oil service intervals every 10,000 miles.
    I think we can all get a bit OCD, thinking constantly changing oil is the answer to longevity.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by AKBaz View Post
    I would have thought oil changes every six months are ok if, on my Merc van which has oil service intervals of 37,000 miles but not if you're doing 200 miles in six months. My cob will get an oil change every 3,000 miles. My Merc car has oil service intervals every 10,000 miles.
    I think we can all get a bit OCD, thinking constantly changing oil is the answer to longevity.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Baz
    Your merc van - if new - will have an oil quality sensor which can command shorter intervals depending on usage (oil dilution etc due to DPF regens and so-on); older cars without an oil quality sensor have intervals that are mileage or time based.. say 10k or 12 months, whichever happens first. If you do 1000 miles a year, you'd still need to change it every 12 months..
    My DeDion build diary..

I bow to your better knowledge Aaron.
    I would have thought that most of these big old Yank V8s that went round the clock many times in the sixties and seventies wouldn't have had oil changes every year.

My only point was I think we can all get a bit anal with our engines considering the miles we tend to do.

Baz

True - back in the 60s the service intervals would have been somewhere in the 6,000 mile region.. probably 6,000 miles or 12 months; that's certainly what the Gargler suggests for a 1960's Chevy 350..

Good post about oils here, especially note the oil analysis at 5,000 miles: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-...-interval.html

Really, the only way to know for sure, for your own situation, is to take an oil sample at regular intervals and send it off for analysis - some stuff degrades with use, others degrade with time (like the acidity regulators), and then change it before it's no longer effective

Modern stuff on fully synthetic oil has much longer intervals, but I know a lot of people argue they are too long.. manufacturers don't care about longevity beyond the warranty period, after all!
    My DeDion build diary..