Thread: Tyre life.

Hybrid View

Tyre life.

Hi.

In your opinions what would be an acceptable tyre life in years? Mine have done 7000 miles but I'm not divulging yet how old they are. But they are still very much legal and as yet have no cracking in the side walls or bottoms of the treads.

David.
    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting.

I know a chap who has an SL Merc from new saved for sunny days and holidays. Changed his tyres following an MOT advisory after 15 years !!

Mine are 13yrs on back...no cracks or anything but will be changing when i decide on which tyre this winter. 6mm tread left....7 years or abouts is the recommendation isnt it?
    AK Ls1/t56
    Body on April 2014
    Passed IVA March 2017
    Registered April 2017.

There should be an number on the tyre that donates the week and year the tyre was manufactured. You should see a Dot number on the tyre the last 4 digits give you the week and year of manufacture.
    According to Kwik Fit there is no defined number of years but after 5 years you should keep a check on them for cracks.
    Rob

Mine are the original ones fitted in 2004. I think it may be time to refresh them once the car is back on the road after a small make over. Taking It to Le Mans next year and need it reliable as well as being safe.
    Tyres seem to be the forgotten item. As long as there is tread and they pass the MOT, they are deemed safe. But I have reservations about that and it's been playing on my mind this year.
    Time for a fresh set of boots me thinks.

mine 3 year old still good only cov ered about 8 thou

My GF Goodrich TA tyres V rated were old 15 plus years and no signs of cracking but where started to have discolouration known as "Blooming".

"Browning is caused by a chemical ingredient called Antiozonant. Antiozonant is a chemical ingredient that is added to tire rubber to help prevent ozone from causing cracking, splitting, and degradation of the tire surface. Once the antiozonant comes in contact with the ozone in the air, the oxidation then turns it brown. The technical term for this effect is blooming".

I store the car in a garage and the temperature is always cool so the tyres never have UV light and does not get hot in the summer. I thing due to a stable temperature and lack of UV this preserves the rubber from degrading. The hardness and less stickiness of the BF tyres was noticeable which I started to also notice on the road.

As a long European trip was booked last year, I decided a tyre change was required due to peace of mind as I did not want any issues.

There was a marked difference since the new tyres fitted last year with improved traction and wet weather performance.

That's quite interesting. I had this brown appearance on my tyres and ended up colouring them with black bumper polish. It made them look much better but now I have read the above, my mind is made up to change them very soon.

I’ll stand corrected but 10 years I believe is the new recognised time to replace as mentioned the four digits denote the week number and the year so (1215) would be the 12th week of 2015, not stealing AC Cobra limelight but I have just replaced a perfectly good looking set of tyres on my motorhome following my friend having a blowout on his motorhome that had perfectly good looking tyres and passing mot’s and resulted in damage to his van!
    Now back to our beloved long time investments, what’s the car worth and what’s the price of a set of tyres?
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

More importantly, whats the cost of LIFE!!

Quote Originally Posted by mark chambers View Post
    I’ll stand corrected but 10 years I believe is the new recognised time to replace as mentioned the four digits denote the week number and the year so (1215) would be the 12th week of 2015, not stealing AC Cobra limelight but I have just replaced a perfectly good looking set of tyres on my motorhome following my friend having a blowout on his motorhome that had perfectly good looking tyres and passing mot’s and resulted in damage to his van!
    Now back to our beloved long time investments, what’s the car worth and what’s the price of a set of tyres?
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true