Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The usual Chineseum mini-lathe, Lloyd? There's some good YouTube channels on all the upgrades he'll want to make to turn it into a nicely usable machine.. then again, maybe he's going for larger Chineseum as the usual ones are ML7 sized I think? Still, if those don't put him off, nothing will...

I do love how 50/60s counts as "more modern" in this discussion IIRC one of my ML7s is 1950s vintage and the other is 1970s vintage - the 50s one has much less wear (but no gearbox)!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

if you have the space for a 1 ton lathe in your garage then old school is fine - me , i didn't so went for a 2nd hand Clarke CL500M (lathe/mill/drill) which tipped the scales at a svelt 165KG.

Does the job that i need it for - what's your mate looking at making - think they'll find the new chineseum lathes are pretty good nowa-days

check here for lathes for sale

http://www.lathes.co.uk/page3.html/

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

No I think he's looking at around the £1100 mark larger stuff. It will certainly do a job, but having used a smaller lathe and then upgraded to a Student, the difference is significant.

I think we've found somewhere he can go and try the Chineseum version. Be interested to see what he makes of it as he's used my Student plenty.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Just seen this if still needed

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/512824829347570/
    Last edited by LDW; 02-02-20 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Wrong link

Hi fella, thanks for that but he’s gone to the dark side and ordered Chinesium! Be interesting to see how it performs.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Make sure you give it a good wipe down.Interesting if it matches up to good old British workmanship.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Quote Originally Posted by LDW View Post
    I have been watching a guy on Instagram restore a Super 7 - they're so close to the ML7, yet so far away.. so many "small" improvements that add up to a much, much nicer machine. That's very tempting..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12