Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone selling a lathe?

Hi chaps, hope you all had great Christmas's?

Quick question as I know there are some guys here who are well versed in machining and have stuff hidden away!

I have a friend looking for a lathe. He’s after something medium sized. Myford ML7 would be too small but nothing bigger than a Colchester Student. He’s pondering a Chinesium import, (so he needs saving!) but I’m trying to persuade him old British is better.

Something tooled up would be great, ideally single phase but 3 phase considered with the price of VFDs these days. Don’t mind doing some minor repairs but generally it would need to be mechanically sound. Can come fetch it.

Anyone pondering selling one, or have a lead on anything suitable?

Onwards to new year and yet more gin
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

No lathe, although I do own a Unimat which is only good for small stuff, but that's mostly what I need it for. It's your last line that intrigued me. Is this you (it could be me, but it's not)?

Attached Images Attached Images
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Given how far down that river he had to go, I always thought he packed a little light on the gin front?
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels

Since I feel bad going off topic about gin vs. a lathe, I thought I’d investigate further. Of coarse the best deal would be to buy a good quality used lathe, but then those cheap ones can be OK if you don’t need to use them every day. Certainly an alternative if you can’t find a good used one.

Now I like a combination lathe/mill so I looked some up.

Here, we have Busy Bee tools, that sells a unit under the Craftex brand. I think it’s made in Taiwan.

https://www.busybeetools.com/product...0hz-cx615.html

Then there’s Grizzly, and you can see it’s basically the same, but a with a longer bed:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...the-Mill/G9729

And Grizzly does sell a competitively price unit similar in to the Craftex:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...he-Mill/G4015Z

House power is different here than in the UK, however it wouldn’t surprise me that these units are available in the UK under another brand name, and with motors compatible with your mains.

Back to the gin… it wasn’t the river being so long, it was having “she who must be obeyed” on board that caused the gin to disappear. Could be my wife, but it’s not………

John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

I have an ML7 I'd part with .. but that's no use to you would love to upgrade to a Colchester Student or similar. I do know of a school that might have a Harrison L5a for sale, if that's of any interest?
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Could be Aaron, I’ll ask the question. Somewhere near Northampton?
    Lloyd B

Lol, I’d forgotten that scene! She’d have been overboard shortly after the gin on my boat! Fortunately,mor perhaps unfortunately, my SWMBO prefers to drink it,
    Lloyd B

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    Could be Aaron, I’ll ask the question. Somewhere near Northampton?
    Actually no - he lives about as far East as you can go from here before you fall off into the sea .. well, not quite, but it's more Bury St Edmunds area than Northampton I think my friend is changing jobs a little into the new year, so there may be a short window of opportunity it should be a well looked after machine, though.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Saw this one on sale via face book if its of any use?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4216429378818/

Cheers
    Greg
    Building MK4 GD Jag based with a Chevy 383/tremec tko600.

Build blog/photo store https:/www.facebook.com/pg/gregsGD427

Cheers Austin.

If he goes for old British, I think he'll be looking for something from the 50's/60's onwards so a bit more modern. At the moment I think Chineseum is looking favourite despite my best efforts!
    Lloyd B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast