Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D Printers

I really struggled with ABS - corners curling, mostly.. do you have an enclosure on your printer?

I follow a guy on Instagram (Kyle Kuhnhausen who builds some incredible cars with an attention to detail I can only dream of!) who prints entirely in Nylon and CF filament on his Prusa i3 in an enclosure.. I dream of figuring out ABS, let alone Nylon
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Yes, found a glass front cabinet that fitted my printer and it has a heater in there too for the winter months as otherwise the printer throws an error when it's trying to heat up.

I still get issues with warping but using a raft often helps. I just find the print quality is so good with ABS - PLA just feels too brittle and it's not so heat stable. I'd love to print Nylon as wanted to make a fuel injection system for a vehicle I have.

My "go to" filament these days is PETG. Unlike PLA it's not brittle, but because it's a "stickier" plastic it suffers from stringing, and also on large prints warping and popping off the bed. However, I finally found the cure for the latter. Having tried the usual things like PVA and glue sticks, I experimented with extra hold hairsprays, and finally found one that works perfectly - Garnier Fructis Elastic Power Fix. I went to order some more the other day and was having difficulty finding it - then discovered that it has apparently been discontinued. However, I managed to find someone with stock, so ordered four cans.

I occasionally use nylon for parts that need to be extra strong and/or heat tolerant (I used it for the mounting clips for my radiator fan). By far the best and easiest to print with is Taulman Nylon Bridge. However, that link is for 2.85mm, and neither e3D nor anyone else that I can find has the 1.75mm - so it looks as though that may have been discontinued too, or perhaps a victim of Covid-19!

I have a reel of ABS that I've not yet used, mainly because of the fumes that come off the stuff. I keep meaning to set up an extractor fan, and also a knock up a front cover for my BigBox printer so that I can give it a try.
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)

Dax 427 DeDion - DEPOSIT NOW TAKEN www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62683

I bought loads of PETG but for the bits I was producing, the stringing meant far too much post processing so I don't use it so much any more.
    My printer is in my workshop so the fumes aren't an issue as I generally leave it unattended (monitored via OctoPrint running from a Raspberry Pi)
    Reverend Robin
    GD427 Euro

He who dies with the most tools wins

Robin,
    This hair spray is also good https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEGRON-NE...kAAOSwfZ1WYaIC
    For ABS you can use a fumes of acetone to make it smoother rather then sanding.

ps
    I can imagine the face of the seller if Aaron goes to the shop and buy a hairspray.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKrrkfTisAg

Acetone smoothing can be quite effective but you can lose dimensional accuracy and it can weaken prints.
    I've tried hairspray, ABS juice and wide brims to try and make Nylon stick but to no effect. I need to give it a few hours in the dehydrator before trying again as I have a full roll of it and the one bit I did manage to print was almost indestructible
    Reverend Robin
    GD427 Euro

He who dies with the most tools wins

Quote Originally Posted by aaannnd View Post
    ps
    I can imagine the face of the seller if Aaron goes to the shop and buy a hairspray.
    My flowing locks are legendary!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12