Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have taken a video and posted it on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F76VjBzXvAc

Also found a post on a Rover V8 forum with a similar noise on an engine rebuild and they are saying it can be the cam shaft and you need to run the engine at 2000rpm for a long period to let it all bed in. Im wondering if my new push rods have moved things and loads around.
    Im also still worried the rod guide plates are rubbing on the new rods.
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Squeak?? Just a thought and perhaps a long shot, but if you have had the plugs out, have you got them all seated properly?
    In another direction, is there still a squeak with the clutch disengaged?

One more thing I forgot, I did have 20W 50 oil in it before the change and now have Mobil Super2000 10W 40 as lots of forums were recommending it for older American engines..
    Paul

Sorry, hadn't seen the video when I posted the reply above. Cancel that, it's not plugs or clutch! So hard from a video but it sounds ancillary (alternator or water pump bearing). It was still there with no belt on? If that's the case then it can't be either of those. Easy to check the new pushrods/guide clearance with the covers off (sounds a bit excessive for that). Might also be worth checking for air leaks in vacuum pipes (again seems excessive for that too). Good luck - I hope it isn't a cam
    BTW I always use 20/50 in these old V8's (and always have done). In my view that's what they were designed for but 10/40 won't make an alright engine squeak!

Appears louder on the drivers side. Difficult to tell. Sounds more like water pump. Try the screwdriver to ear on the rocker cover hope you will narrowed it done.

I have ordered a stethoscope from Amazon ! Getting really worried having watched another video with a similar sound and it was a cam follower.
    Paul

Update. checked to see if the engine squeaked from cold today. started up smooth and quiet, then after about 5 minutes or so as it started to warm the squeak suddenly appeared ! So assuming this must be something as things expand.
    Going to take a look at the push rod guides as I cant help but think they are rubbing on the new hardened rods.
    Paul

Do you need those guides? If they are the problem can they simply be removed?
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

I took one off last night and the rocker studs do not go in correctly without the guides which are about 3mm thick. I guess I could try big washers under the heads but not overly keen on the idea. I am grinding the slots out slightly with a Dremel and trying to make sure they are aligned as best I can tell.
    Just going to have to keep trying things based on what has changed as so far I cannot identify the noise looking at forums and talking with people. Still hoping I dont have a cam problem.
    Im even going to put my old oil filter back on as I had to buy a different one and although it was equivalent it was physically quite different.
    Paul

Thought I would put todays update up as it is getting surreal now !
    I ground a tiny bit of the guides out , reset the valve clearances yet again and put the old oil filter back on...started her up and after about 5 minutes of running I had a horrible clunk from the font of the engine, then a minute later horrible clattering.
    Fearing something had finally failed in the engine I immediately turned it off and figured I would just check the alternator and water pump as I could just loosen the fan belt. Water pump was fine, went to turn the alternator and it pretty much jammed!!!
    Took the alternator off and the bearings are gone!
    This isnt my squeak as I had run the engine without the alternator before and it was still there, this is just another bizarre failure to add to my growing list.

Now got to get my alternator fixed before I can get back to testing problem number one!
    Paul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast