Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    You are having fun! It's how it goes. Not sure what alternator you are running but I have given up fixing such things and just replace them. I guess you will be restricted by the bracketry. I just use a Lucas type, they are pretty cheap and easy to find.
    It did sound like that type of thing. You never know, when you get it fixed the mysterious squeak might have disappeared!! Fingers crossed.
    Meanwhile, if you want to run it to investigate potential 'squeaks' you can always stretch a belt over the crank and water pump pulleys to fire it up and run. It's possible to get one on there if it's a little loose. Fine for testing and can be cut off or will easily come off if you take the water pump pulley off. I carry one the right size as a 'get me home' emergency repair!
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

When I bought my first engine (long story) it was shown to me running on a test stand - with a length of bungee cord for a water pump belt! (It had been roughly cut to length and then knotted).. worked fine although if you blipped the throttle too hard it flew off across the driveway
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Alternator fixed by a really helpful guy who did it on the same day! It was an internal screw which came lose and was catching on the rotor. £42 to strip, inspect fix and he put new bearings in as it was apart.
    Got home and quickly fitted it back on and fired up the engine, nice and quiet for 10 minutes and then just as I was about to take it out for a test drive the dreaded squeak came back !!!
    Dont know where to go next really. Maybe run it until it blows up and then I know what it is !!!
    The noise seems to come from everywhere in the engine, even a stethoscope doesnt help find it which really make me start to think it could be a cam bearing or tappet.
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Good you have eliminated your alternator issue. That would of stranded you at the roadside. The stethoscope should allow you to narrow it down. If its a tappet it will pick it up very easily in locating the noise. I have found that you need to be very methodical in placing it in areas. Tamping noises or bearing noises are very evident. I would give it another go. I would diffidently look at the water pump area again. You should just hear bearing noise no squeaks.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Problem finally found but not good news.
    Having re checked it all again and putting the 20W-50 oil and old filter back on I still ended up with a squeak when warm. Decided to drive the car for a while to see if it got worse or went away and it remained pretty constant, although the thicker oil did quieten down the noise and made it sound a little more valve train related.
    Took everything apart again for a very detailed inspection of every part in the heads and suddenly realised that one of the valve stem tips had a sharp edge to it and was more marked than the others. It was also about 4mm shorter than the others !!!!
    That confused me until I discovered a small metal disk about 4mm thick and exactly the same diameter as a valve stem sitting in the oil pool in the head next to the valve!!!!!!!
    Apparently valves can be made from multiple parts and have a hard tip welded on the end which can fail...never knew that!

So my original ticking problem back in November would have been when the tip fell off and since then all the work I have done fixed many things but winding down the rocker to make up the 4mm to a soft ended valve seems to result in a squeak.
    So unfortunately I now have a head rebuild job and/or the decision to replace all the valves in both heads. Not happy but I guess I finally know the root cause of my problems.
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123