Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

new push rods help required

Hi all, I have bought a new set of push rods for my Ford 429 engine from Sumit racing in the USA which a friend kindly carried back for me.
    When I unpacked them it is clear they are physically different so I thought I would check with the forum for peoples thoughts.
    The old rods have a ball which looks like it is welded to the end of the rod, the new rods just have a domed end. They both look like the same resulting diameter but would like some reassurance before fitting them !

Picture attached
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Can't answer your question directly as I have a different engine but to ask the obvious - Summit have a good reputation in the US, have you called them?

I have emailed them but been searching internet this evening and have found several sites offering 'formed end' rods which are this shape so I am pretty sure they are ok to use.
    Paul

Will be fine, just a different design

As mentioned cant see a problem myself just a different design.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

They look like an upgrade to me, Sumit really know there stuff so get fitting.

Alan.
    AK Gen II on the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.
    3.27:1 Powr-lok LSD

Fitted the new push rods over the weekend and managed a quick test drive today. Engine seems to be running just fine and my ticking has gone which is great news.
    going to change the oil and filter this week to make sure I get rid of any debris from the old rods wearing.
    Paul

Well done, sounds like you have sorted it.

Looks like I am going form one problem to another. Fitted new rods and ran the engine just fine, went out for a short test drive and all good. Changed the oil and filter yesterday as I didnt want to run the engine with all the debris from the worn rods and span up the engine for a good while and all good.
    Took her out for a test drive today and after a few miles I got a squeak which sounded like the fan belt so immediately went home and put spray on it with no effect.
    Took the fan belt off completely and squeak is still there and tracks with revs. Now very depressed and struggling to think what has happened now.
    Paul

Paul,

Fingers crossed its just coincidental and your thinking the worse. Use the stethoscope method of pinpointing down noises which are difficult to locate.
    You can use a large screw driver and put it to against your ear. Be careful of moving parts. See video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mpNRJ7m-c8
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast