Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horns

Horns

I need to purchase the horns for my AK cobra kit, the question is do I need 2 horns ie low tone and high tone. Any suggestions as to where I can get them from.
    Car builder solutions seem to do a range. Do I need to wire these in with a relay or not ?
    Any advice appreciated

Hi,
    I don't think it matters about the type of horn - it's just about having one.

I used this one
    https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/twin-tone-air-horns
    Not very expensive but loud!

You do not need a relay in the supply circuit. You do need some king of indication of operating the horn (illuminated momentary dash board switch or steering wheel push button).

sceptic

Sorry disagree, you definitely DO need a relay for the horns as they are high current. (6Amp each)

Alan.
    AK Gen II on the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.
    3.27:1 Powr-lok LSD

It certainly wont hurt to install a relay, i think you are right about high current although I am certain that older classic car circuits did not have relays perhaps the wiring was heavier duty to compensate ?
    martin

I bought these - https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/mini-disc-horns-pair - they, too, are ear splittingly loud when you test them in the garage with all the doors shut
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by methoni View Post
    It certainly wont hurt to install a relay, i think you are right about high current although I am certain that older classic car circuits did not have relays perhaps the wiring was heavier duty to compensate ?
    martin
    The switch is another thing to consider - a cheap switch contact will eventually burn out.. the wiring doesn't have to be huge, 3-4mm2 cable will carry 12A quite happily without a large drop, and 1.5mm2 cable is rated at 21A, so the switch will be the weak point.

There's certainly a healthy spark to be had if you're using a jumper wire to bridge the connectors to test the horns
    My DeDion build diary..

Interesting about the relays and switches, my horn circuit on my triumph has no relay or switch and just relies on the horn push on the steering wheel to compete the earth circuit when pushed.
    Martin

check out the Stebel Nautilus horns - compact and very loud - quite a few have fitted them iirc

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by methoni View Post
    Interesting about the relays and switches, my horn circuit on my triumph has no relay or switch and just relies on the horn push on the steering wheel to compete the earth circuit when pushed.
    Martin
    They made things sturdy back then Plus the contacts in a horn push could be huge - a tiddly little push-button though, like some of us fit, will have weedy little contacts. I have a Lucas-alike toggle switch which would probably cope, personally, but I still have a relay just because it was in the loom when I bought it, so to speak!
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    check out the Stebel Nautilus horns - compact and very loud - quite a few have fitted them iirc

rgds
    Gary
    Yes, that’s what I have, replacing the squeaky moped horn that was on originally. V loud two tone effect, but mine has resorted to a single tone now...
    Nuf Said

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast