Exhaust brackets.

Morning all,

I have my eye on a set of side exhausts that look pretty good for a used set. Everything in the right place and almost no dinks to speak of, however, I'm not too sure about the brackets that are attached to the exhausts. They are welded to the back of the removable outlet pipes and although the welding looks fine I don't know if the position is a cause for concern! Thinking along the lines of "all the weight supported by something that is made to come off". Would it be sensible to have new brackets welded to the main body of the exhaust and if so is there any particular way of achieving this?

All thoughts and ideas as always very much appreciated.

Graham.

s-l1600.jpg
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

They look like Dax sidepipes, Dax have been fitting the bracket like that for years, if you think about it once the pipe is fitted there is no way that the end cap can pull out of the pipe, in other words they will be fine as they are. AJMHO!

If they are Dax pipes then you might want to look into the 'reverse cone' setup that Dax use inside each pipe, it can be sorted out but is pretty bad in terms of gas flow.
    I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Rules for buying 'Go Faster' parts:-

If it's fast and cheap then it's not good.
    If it's cheap and good then it's not fast.
    If it's good and fast then it's not cheap!

Graham,

You could always remove the bracket and mount as the attachment. If they are a good set you will need to look at the internals if they have been improved. I would diffidently have a look at the front internal cone 4 into one section and the perforated tube inside . I recall these were 2 inch and some people have put in a larger perforated tube to improve flow. Tubes can be bought from Custom Chrome.

Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks both, found lots of not very good reading about dax pipes on the search.

So before anyone jumps all over my post a reminder that I'm trying to do this with a budget of £00.00! Ebay, free stuff, parts for sale on the forum and the like, I'm sure someone will be along to slag off what I'm doing but hey, life's a bitch and I'm building a Cobra, so go easy on me.

So (again) the side pipes.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Yes I know they are 2 into 1 not 4 into 1 (see above). Thought process went something like; Use original exhaust manifolds, they fit and they're not broken. Single manifold outlet to catalytic converter (Lexus 1UZFE engine), CC to 1 into 2, 1 into 2 to exhausts. Sort of!
    But then someone with more know-how than I comes along and points out the idea is possibly a tad flawed, bugger!

Now before I part with money I shouldn't actually be spending is the so called thought process on the right track or a train wreck waiting to happen? Don't have any way of checking the insides at the moment so no way of knowing if they are early or late Dax.

Graham.

Hi Graham, you could have it easily made into one pipe to match up to the cat?

I don’t recognise those as Dax items due to the two into one config. Possibly thought at first that they could be ex Jag V12 ones but a friend of mine has one and they are more curly than those if I recall correctly.
    If they are cheap enough then buy them but know that you may have to spend money on them to get them modified to fit and also possibly for noise.
    I’m all for building on a budget. I did the same thing years ago with mine and ended up with a sensible car that then turned into a rolling project to upgrade as and when.

David.

Advertised as ex Jag V12. Good price for what I'm doing but the more I look the harder it is to remove the credit card from the wallet.

Maybe someone else can make better use of than I can?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cobra-Kit...sAAOSw6XBdDfdb

Graham.
    Last edited by Gatwick Axe Man; 10-01-20 at 09:39 PM.

I welded extra brackets on mine as I had concerns about them coming off
    I put one bracket 1/3 way along the pipe and a small stabilization bracket inside the bonnet to chassis
    All mounts on bobbins