Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Kevin, I'm at the stage where I'm setting up the end float for the hub bearings. As I've used new bearings, I'll have to measure for a new spacer as new bearings have different thickness (Jaguar part number CCC6806**, ** depends on the thickness). You need Jaguar tool J15 to knock the bearing/spacer home and then measure from there.... I'll let you try and work that out as it's too difficult for me to explain!! The other problem is postage from suppliers is £10-£15 and the shim is £15 and you may get the wrong shim! Jaguar charge £11 for the shim but you have to buy 5 at a time!!! Brilliant.

James
    James G
    Purple Dax / Ford 260/4 speed toploader all in need of TLC and cash but the dreams are there. Dream on - car now blue, Ford 302 and Tremec T5, 4 years later....

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball-XL5 View Post
    Kevin, I'm at the stage where I'm setting up the end float for the hub bearings. As I've used new bearings, I'll have to measure for a new spacer as new bearings have different thickness (Jaguar part number CCC6806**, ** depends on the thickness). You need Jaguar tool J15 to knock the bearing/spacer home and then measure from there.... I'll let you try and work that out as it's too difficult for me to explain!! The other problem is postage from suppliers is £10-£15 and the shim is £15 and you may get the wrong shim! Jaguar charge £11 for the shim but you have to buy 5 at a time!!! Brilliant.

James
    ...FFS, what a total pain.
    Thanks for letting me know.
    Just seen this, in case you haven't....
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...OLOucO80_n25wE
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

The cost of those shims makes it very expensive. A shim pack kit would be ideal if someone does such a kit. If my end floats are not right I think I might look for a local old engineering company at a reasonable cost.
    That's a good guard Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    ...FFS, what a total pain.
    Thanks for letting me know.
    Just seen this, in case you haven't....
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...OLOucO80_n25wE
    That's a really nice write-up.. the XJ40 hubs seem a lot more simple than the earlier ones! Then again, I just paid Wards to put mine together, so maybe I missed out on all the fun
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

just idly wondering about the consequences of just torquing up the nuts and hope for the best..?
    Crendon Chassis No.49

just idly wondering about the consequences of just torquing up the nuts and hope for the best..?
    Assuming the hubs are a pair of tapered roller bearings (facing each other) and this is to set the pre-load on the bearings ... the worst that can happen is the wheel parts company with the car (like the recent Air Canada flight: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9271926.html), I imagine!
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Assuming the hubs are a pair of tapered roller bearings (facing each other) and this is to set the pre-load on the bearings ... the worst that can happen is the wheel parts company with the car (like the recent Air Canada flight: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9271926.html), I imagine!
    - but there is a nut holding it onto the drive shadft?
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Apparently the bearings in the diff just have preload and rely on the oil for cooling. The hub bearings would just overheat I guess. Front wheel bearings don't have this problem, just back the nut off a quarter turn.....

- but there is a nut holding it onto the drive shadft?
    Tell that to the passengers of flight 8684 I don't think it could come off completely - just flop around alarmingly if the bearings grenade themselves (the aircraft wheel is bolted to the outer brake drum, however, and that flew off - leaving the hub nut still on the aircraft - in the case of flight 8684).
    My DeDion build diary..

I've been in touch with Dave Manners and he doesn't have the exact shim so I've ordered 0.006" too thick and I'll see what play I have once it's torqued up. Good news is I only have to buy one shim and postage was only £4 compared to £13 from SC parts.
    James G
    Purple Dax / Ford 260/4 speed toploader all in need of TLC and cash but the dreams are there. Dream on - car now blue, Ford 302 and Tremec T5, 4 years later....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast